CONLANG  June 2009, Week 1

CONLANG June 2009, Week 1

Re: Masculine and feminine nouns affect how one perceives objects?

David Peterson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Jun 2009 03:31:48 -0700

On Jun 3, 2009, at 8◊32 AM, Paul Hartzer wrote:

> First, the statement rejecting her position as a psychology
> professor ergo not a linguist is fallacious. If we're using the
> criterion "must be a professor of linguistics" to classify
> "linguist," most of us would fail to be linguists either.

Most of us aren't presenting papers claiming that grammatical
gender affects thought.

I've now read the paper Sai linked to.  It's, unfortunately, not a
paper, but a book chapter, and so much of the key information
has been left out.  Here are some comments:

Experiment 1: Grammatical Gender and Memory

Experiment: In this experiment, native German and Spanish speakers who
were also "highly proficient" in English were given a memorization
task.  A set of objects was given proper names (in English, it
looks like.  There's only one example given; there are no lists)
that were gendered (the example they give is Patrick vs. Patricia).
Half of the objects were grammatically feminine and half
grammatically masculine in both German and Spanish.  In
addition, for each group, half were given names that "matched"
(e.g. an apple in Spanish was given a feminine proper name),
and half were given names that didn't (e.g. if that same apple
was given a masculine proper name).  The hypothesis was
that speakers would better remember those items where the
gender matched.  The hypothesis was borne out.

Conclusion: The semantic representation of gender is not
language specific; objects have conceptual gender; the gender
is consistent with the grammatical gender assigned by the
language.

Comment: As with several things that appear earlier in the
paper, I'm concerned that phonology has *completely* been
ignored.  Spanish gender is almost 100% predictive based on
phonology; French gender is 90%; and while German remains
a tough nut, there are, nonetheless, broad, sweeping generalizations
that speakers can utilize.

One thing that both German and Spanish have in common is
the final, unstressed /-a/ or /-@/ for feminine (not exclusively,
but pervasively).  Additionally, many consonant-final words
are masculine (in Spanish, most, if you go by percentages).  If
the names given were really example like Patrick and Patricia
or Mark and Marcia, might the memory have been triggered
by phonological similarity and not abstract gender?

In addition, the summary of this experiment is such that many
things simply cannot be determined.  The objects weren't given,
the names weren't given, nor the data.  Much of what one might
say is simply guesswork.

Experiment 2: Grammatical Gender and Object Descriptions

Experiment: This is the one explained in the article.  Some details
left out of that article: It's, again, a test conducted in English with
native German and Spanish speakers highly proficient in English.
It looks like test subjects just had words to go off of: they were
given a word and asked to describe it using three adjectives.
Now the odd part: "After all adjectives provided by Spanish and
German speakers were collected, a group of English speakers
(unaware of the purpose of the study) rated the adjectives as
describing masculine or feminine properties of the objects (+1 =
feminine, -1 = masculine).  The adjectives were arranged in
alphabetical order and not identified as having been produced
by a Spanish or a German speaker."  Why not randomize whether
masculine and feminine were +/-1, I wonder...?  Anyway,
the hypothesis was that speakers use appropriately gendered
adjectives for the nouns they described, and the hypothesis
was borne out.

Conclusion: People's thinking about objects is influenced by the
grammatical genders their native language assigns to objects'
names.

Comment: Again, there's no data, so not much can be said.  There
are a lot of variables in this experiment, though.  One that occurs
to me: Is it the case that German, Mexican (an assumption, since
this was done at Stanford) and American conceptions of masculinity
and femininity identical?  What does it mean for an American
to give gender value assessment to words chosen by native
speakers of foreign language, presumably from foreign nations?

Experiment 3: Separating Effects of Language and Culture

Experiment: Speakers were presented with pictures which fell
into two categories.  One category was headed by "sou" and
another by "oos".  Additionally, a set of pictures of female and
male humans were also associated with either "sou" or "oos",
and consistently so, so that speakers would get the idea that
one of the two was "masculine" and the other was "feminine".
After learning which words went in which category, they
were asked to do the adjective task described above.  The
prediction was that they'd use "feminine" adjectives for whichever
category was feminine, and "masculine" adjectives for the
other.  The hypothesis was borne out.  (Oh, and the experiment
was appropriately randomized, along the lines described
above.)

Conclusion: "These findings suggest that people's ideas about
genders of objects can indeed be influenced by grammatical
genders assigned to those objects in a language."

Comment: There's an interesting bit right before the conclusion.
The author gives some of the data to the reader--adjectives
used to describe "violin" when it was feminine, and when it
was masculine.  Here are the adjectives:

Feminine: artsy, beautiful, creative, curvy, delicate, elegant,
interesting, pretty, wooden.

Masculine: chirping, difficult, impressive, noisy, overused,
piercing, shiny, slender, voluptuous, wooden.

Aside from the fact that "wooden" appears in both lists, I'm
interested to see "slender" appear as masculine.  This, you'll
recall, was an adjective used with the feminine "bridge" in a
previous study.  If both results are statistically significant (we
have no evidence for or against this yet), doesn't this call into
question the result of the valuations of the English speakers?
How could "slender" at one time be viewed as a "masculine"
adjective, and at another time as a "feminine" adjective?

Experiments 4-6: Grammatical Gender and Picture Similarity

Experiments: Wow.  Okay, three experiments were summarized
in three paragraphs, and this was NOT enough space.  They
all sound fascinating!  Essentially, speakers were asked to
match a picture of an object to a picture of either a male or a
female (i.e. which human gender the picture was more like).
This was done with Spanish and German speakers.  It was
also done with speakers that were bilingual Spanish/German
speakers, and apparently it was taken into account where
they were born, how fluent they were, when they acquired
their second language, etc.  The details were not explained
at all, but the conclusion was, essentially, "It all went how we
thought it would."  There's simply not enough material here
to say anything at all.

Experiment 7: But How Does Language Affect Thought?

Experiment: The same categories ("sou" and "oos") are used,
but now the genders are mixed.  The idea is to see if the effect
observed previously is due merely to the fact that they were
placed in the same group, and not because of the gender
association.  If the judgments were the same, the conclusion
would be that it's not gender that facilitates memory, but
simply the fact that the things are in the same class.  The
opposite, however, was found--at least, I think.  What's
written is that "there was no increase in similarity for within-
category comparisons"--but increase with respect to what?
They talk as if this supports their assertion, though, so I
assume that the groups did not facilitate memory.

Conclusion: "[L]inguistic categories can influence people's
thinking by encouraging them to carry out comparisons that
they wouldn't have otherwise carried out."

Comment: None, without the data.  I'm a bit confused by the
description...

*

Overall Comments: The main problem I have with the entire
series of experiments is that phonology seems to have been
completely ignored.  Since phonological similarity is the very
first thing that comes to my mind when trying to interpret
these data, it makes me wonder why it was seemingly ignored
in all of these experiments.

As for any conclusions, I'm afraid none can be drawn.  One
needs to see the actual write up for each experiment, and I
can't find any on her website...  There's a paper she wrote in
her bibliography that is on her website, but it's not relevant
(it should be interesting, though.  It deals with the different
metaphors English speakers and Chinese speakers use when
discussing time [English uses "before" and "after" whereas
Chinese uses "down" and up"]).

At present, I remain unconvinced.  There are way too many
variables and way too many unanswered questions and
untested hypotheses.  The most pressing to me is the role
that phonology plays in many of these tests.  Consider sound
symbolism, for example.  Even though English has no noun
classes--let alone adjectival classes--we have an idea that "glint",
"glimmer", "glitter", "glisten", "gleam" and "glow" all go together,
and if we heard a new word like "gline" or "gloose", associations
would arise about what types of words these are based on
nothing but the phonology, and the associations we've attached
to it.  It seems, at the very least, like something that one might
want to consider in conjunction with the series of experiments
detailed above.

-David

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.com/