AUXLANG June 2009, Week 2

Re: The Sambahsa thread

Olivier Simon <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Jun 2009 09:02:17 -0400

Sellamat Jim ed Dave !

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 08:11:35 -0400, Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> wanted to put Sambahsa to the test of the first (relatively interesting)
pages
>> of Harker's trip through Central Europe. The book itself is very long (500
>> pages... it would take one year at least!) and quite boring, consisting of
>> lengthy letters and notes of the main characters (except Dracula himself !).
>
>Boring?   It's one of my favorite 19th-century novels,
>my favorite horror novel period.   I've read it four or five
>times, and generally faster than other period novels
>of a similar length (2 or 3 days vs. a week or more for e.g.
>Dickens' shorter novels of about the length of _Dracula_).  It's not
>paced like a modern thriller, but
>it's paced faster than a lot of other novels of the
>period, and there's little or no padding.

I read it of course in French, therefore maybe the smack oh the original novel
has disappeared ? The subject of the novel itself is passionating. For what
concerns the style, I prefer the conciseness of Lovecraft or P.Auster (but
that's my personal taste).
In my edition of Dracula, I especially liked in the appendix an excellent analysis
of the novel by G.Stein.

In general, Sambahsa includes words common to French and English;
thus "vampire" is "vampire" [vampIr]. This word, maybe from Serbia, was
popularized in the XVIII° century by Dom Augustin Calmet, a taught monk from
my region Lorraine who wrote a critic book on this topic.

>> doubt that even a fluent Sambahsa speaker would stand to read the book
up
>> to its end...
>
>Well, if the translator considers the book they're translating
>boring, then the translation might turn out to be boring
>even if the original was fascinating.
>
>> That's why I prefer to focus on shorter texts, with more action !
>
>Simply because of the time it takes to translate anything
>into a conlang that's not fully developed yet, it does
>make sense to translate a lot of short stories, essays, and
>the like before tackling a full-length novel.  And, too,
>as Steve pointed out, most people learning a new language
>will want to read a lot of short works before tackling
>a full-length book.
>
>Thirdly, doing many translations of varied short works in
>different styles and forms on different subjects will give
>the language a better workout and show more areas that
>need development than translating one long book.  It
>will also be harder; translating the last 50 pages of
>_Dracula_ into a new conlang would be far easier than
>translating the first 50 pages was, because by that point
>you've already figured out most of the issues that gave you
>problems earlier on -- devising words for "vampire" and
>other concepts that recur frequently in the story, figuring out how
>speakers of this conlang structure their
>letters and diaries and newspaper articles, and so forth.

I try now to take advantage of my unemployment by putting Sambahsa to the
test of various translations; these translations thus have served a double
purpose; not only to release some writing in sambahsa for interested people,
but to allow me to check if sambahsa can cope with a variety of situations.
I had already focused on Medieval fantasy. For the moment, I have stopped
translations of Tolkien, though I like his work, because it has become obvious
that Sambahsa can fully render this kind of writing (even including a tolkienide
subtitled movie !).
I wanted to see if Sambahsa could face modern realities and I did it
with "Objective Apocalypse". This gamebook, quite linear, was easy to turn
into a short novel, with a story susceptible to interest a lot of readers.
Now, I'm still reviewing in private some XIX° texts. If I can go on with
Sambahsa afterwards, I'll try to make a test in the direction of science-fiction
and am going to check if I have fully exhausted what Sinitic languages can
bring to Sambahsa.

Apart from its length, I don't think that Dracula's translation into Sambahsa
would be a problem. On the contrary, because of its epistolary nature with the
use of an atemporal vocabulary, there really shouldn't be many difficulties.
(that's why I told I was more interested by the first pages of Dracula)

>A good medium, perhaps, that would give you (and potential
>conlang learners/readers) both long-term and short-term
>goals to work toward, and some variety in forms and styles
>and subjects, would be to translate an anthology or collection.

Yes, but it would take a lot of time for a lonely man !

Here is the translation of the first pages:

Prest Capitel

DIAR os JONATHAN HARKER
(stenographen)

Bistritz, dien 3 mai. Likwim Munich ye 8 saat 35 vespers, dien 1 mai, eiskwnd
arrive ad Vienna ye id posdien aus-ye. In principe, sollim ses ter ye 6 saat 46,
bet id train hieb oin hor chitay. Sei credeihm quo ho enderviden ud mien
wagon ed id smulk sayr ho ghohdt mi permitte unte idsa strads, Budapest est
un daumosto stet. Io biey wehse pior dalg ud id station quetos, speit noster
chitay, wey dohlg iter abage sei possible ye id normal saat. Mien deubsto
pondos buit od likwam Occident kay penetre Orient. Kafi est uperwehghe id
meist wester iom brigvs qua spande uper id Danube (besonters weur ed deub
her) kay wehse bayna ia tyrka traditions.
Likwim Budapest takriban barsaat ed arrivim in plen noct ad Klausenburg. Ho
nistight do id Royal Hotel. Ye id diner (tehrbiem anter scribe: ye souper), mi
buit anacen un kierk swadwnen med rudh piper – excellent, bet quod pussiret
ad pohe (mehme od ho buden ids recepto pro Mina). Is kellner hat precis od
mejim Paprika hendl, uno nationalo pliat quod retrehviem querlibt in ia Karpats.
Ho aunstohct od mien deutsch reliques eent baygh util her: ne woidim kam
ghehdiem tekhnasse aun ia.
Hiebim brugen mien leur wakt, in London, kay studye, in id British Museum,
wehrgs ed maps de Transylvania. Oik gnohsas ios region okwivid-ye ne me
harmient, chunke io skul diles con un gentile wir cetos. Io aunstohg od id
region quod allusit oistrohc in leizd om tri Stats: Transylvania, Moldova ed
Bukovina, quanta tri in id medio iom Karpats, oin iom wildst ed minst-ye gnohn
regions os hol Europe. Punor, wehrgs ed plans ne mi hant permiss localise
Draculas castell – eti ne exist, tos particularios region – map quod ghehda ses
comparen ad noster schtabmaps. Ho ghohdto tik localise Bistritz, kauping de
quod bahsit Graf Dracula. Sei io credih quo io lis, lit de un destull gnohn stet.
Ye tod point os mieno narn, entreihm oik notes niscript in id British Museum:
sient refresche mieno memoria kun lehcsiem mien safers ad Mina.
Quar distincta nationalitats forme id population Transylvanias: i Saxons, in id
Sud, quim se hant blans i Walachi, descendants im Dacs; i Magyars in id west;
i Szeklers in id eust ed in id nord. Gwahm bi senstens – pretendent descende
ex Attila ed i Huns. Ne est impossible : kun i Magyars hant submitten id land,
ye id XI° secule, trohveer ter i Huns, ja sua-implantet. Ho lisen semloc od
vasya superstitions ios mund se hant sammelt in id Karpaten naal, kamsei
skeipient ia limites uns dewer quer se concentre folksimaginations. Sei to est
ver, mieno mukamo ne sessiet aun me passione. (Mae myehrse interroge iom
Graf de to).
Ne suaswohpim, ne ob mien crovat buit imcomfortable, bet io hieb vasyalga
coschmars. Un kwaun hul unte id hol noct sub mien fenster. Isschi – nibo leit
de id paprika ho ghi remanen teurstic unte id hol noct, hatta pos guraghus id
hol wed ex mien bardak. Io nierc ye octent, io ghi tik sbud sub id effect iom
impatienten stuneds qua clanghihr mien dwer. Ye snidan, mi buir re-servet
paprika, mamaliga, wohnic pohln aubergines, kalt impletata. (Ho kathalika
niscript iro recept). Io skul sorbe id hol in kadam id ghi train abwohgh lyt pre
oct saat – au, exacter, habiet sollen abwehghe lyt pre oct saat, ar, pos
arrivevs parswoidend ad id station, ambh sept saat trigim, dohlgim skehpte
meis quem oin hor in mien wagon pre id train abmovit. Mi kwehct od ye euster
deupt anghen, ye meis ia trains honne saatplans. Kam leit de in China ?
Unte id hol dien, id train hat kwohken sayrane, litteral-ye, per un landspect
pondost ob beauteits. Yando, dyohrcam smulk urbs, castells perchet atop
skarp clins, kam sems sont vis ep ia grehvens iom awen missals. Yando,
wohgham engwn riviers au toorents qua kohgneer druv augwedors, sei eet
kohnst yeji ia teug petra protections qua lizd ia. Sont tohrpt, eti, wed cubic
meters, ed gvaltic, kay tem kiestihes ta stens !
In ielg station, grupps leuden, meneghs, yando, in multicolor vesters,
myehrsihr id local ormia. Sems kwohkeer kam, aun meis, nowngmins nosters
land, quischi sont vis per France ed Deutschland: cort jaquets, random-ye
glupta pantalons, rund hats; alyi eent meis pictoresk. Ias gwens kwohk jamile,
ploisko quan eent gwaht prosch. Quantas hieb teug lendva. Ias bohr enorm
albh armels ed, quasi quantas, weur yeusmens garniet med wehbhschtuks qua
lik ambh ians, kam unte un kshiuu dans. I Slovaks eent ya i stragnest
silhouettes qui eent possible ad imagine, barbarer quem alters, med ir immens
cow-boy hats, ir sarvaris uns aghel albh, ir lin camissas ed ir immens lietern
yeusmens, circa trigim centimeters weur ed xwenyungen med cupern gwozda.
Beschouni med hog bauts qua guriegh ir pantalon bunds, ies bohr long sword
kays ed enorma moustaches. Pictoresk, aundwoi, bet in neid fall sympathic. Ep
scene, habient kwohrn bayga in id rol om oriental brigands. Yed, sekwent quo
me ho sisen sayge, sont kheptenn inoffensive, ed hatta timorats.
Id noct hieb ja gwohmt kun arrivam ad Bistritz, un destull interessant veuto
stet. Quasi uperreidend id grance (id Borgo passe, pos ia dwors ios urb, duct
direct-ye do Bukovina), id urb hat gnoht un rlayulik oumer quos schrams id dar
bohr. Penkgim yars pre, id subih, penks, terrible brands qua ravageer id. Unte
ia prest yars ios XVII° secule, id stohm un tri hevds siege quod costit tridem
mil menscen gwits, decimen tem ab id weir quem ab siuge ed famine.
Graf Dracula me hieb inviten ad nistighes do id hotel ios Golden Cron. Ye mieno
megsto joy, io aunstohg od lit de un dom sekwent id awo mode, gnopitil me ia
mores ed swohds ios land. Okwivid-ye, eem skohpten ar, payn prosch id dwer,
io vis un ja at gwen, quas khauris lige, dut kam una nowngminin: albh kitel,
longo mandile, ant ed apter, uns coloren stoff ed quasi pior collant pro un
decent gwen. Kun gwahsim prosch, ia dientowit ed me sprohg an eem is
englisch Herr. Me presentim, ed ia mui smih, pre sayge semject uni geront in
camissarmels qui hieb sohkwt iam ad id dwer. Rentrit id dom pre rikes fauran,
bertor uns brev. En id:

Mien prient,
Sellgumt do ia Karpats. Vos skehpto impatient-ye. Suaswehpte ye tod noct. Id
coch abwehghsiet do Bukovina cras ye penkdem saat. Un place vos est
reserven. In id Borgo passe, mien wogh vos skehptsiet ed vos duxiet tiel me.
Spehm od voster safer ud London hat suajinkdoun ed od yu preihsiete vies
mukam in mien daumost vatan. Vies prient,
Dracula.

Dien 4 mai. Ho aunstehgen isschi suter ios herbehrg hieb daken un brev ios
graf sprehgend iom kay mi reserve id sellsto place in id coch. Yed, quando io
sprohg iom de oik detayls, is mi kwohk reticent ed pretensit ne prete mien
deutsch. Id leugh eet evident chunke, tuntro, is me hieb baygh suapretet – in
quant fall, is hieb semper antwohrdt exact-ye mienims questions. Ays gvibh,
ta qua me hiebit primen ye id predien, spohc mutu, kam dekhschat. Is vimuticit
od denars hieb ei esen yisen, in id brev, ed os is neid meis gnohsit. Kun io
sprohg iom an is gnohsit Graf Dracula ed an is ghohd mi bahe eys castell, is
kwohr id stavros sams quem sien gvibh pos quo, mi sigwrus woide neid, bo
refuseer dar ghyane id stohm. Id saat ios asimat leitend prosch, io hieb pau id
wakt os interroge alyanghen kam io habiem volt, id ghi situation mi kwohk meg
mysterieus ed nel-ye rassurend.

Olivier
http://sambahsa.pbworks.com/