a letter in a letter (with directions)

Bert Van Raemdonck <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Jul 2009 10:17:11 -0400

Dear members of the Correspondence SIG,

I am having problems encoding a rather complicated letter in which the
writer "dictates" another letter that the receiver should send to still
another person.
So person X (the sender) spells out a letter to person Y (the receiver) that
he should write and send to person Z (some other person).

The letter more or less looks like this (I'm shortening and paraphrasing;
the original is in Dutch):

----------------------------
July 8
Hello Y,
Please write the following letter to Mr. Z. It would really help me to get
that job at the University.

Envelope: 	Mr. Z
		1, Highstreet
		Brussels
July 9
Dear Mr Z. (or Hello Mr. Z, whatever you like)
I highly recommend Mr. X for that job at the University. He is the best man
for the job.
Yours sincerely (or Yours faithfully, as you wish)
Mr. Y

Thanks a lot, Y, it would be really nice if we could become colleagues at
the university.
Kind regards,
-----------------------------

I am using the DALF extension to the TEI for encoding my letters (P4).
My questions are twofold. The first has to do with the status of the
internal letter within the actual letter, the second is concerned with the
directions between brackets

by X for Y. Here they are:

(1) Would you consider the entire "internal" letter as a <quote> in the
bigger <text>, and the go on with

<text>
<envelope></envelope>
</text>
</quote>

Or would you do choose something else than <quote> (e.g. <p>) and then go on
with <text> etc. (Or maybe still some other option?)

(2) What would you do with the words "Envelope" / "or Hello Mr. Z, whatever
you like" / "or Yours faithfully, as you wish"?
These are some sort of ("stage"?) directions from X to Y, but they occur in
a text that should actually be written by Y to Z.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Bert Van Raemdonck
Centre for Scholarly Editing and Document Studies (KANTL-CTB)
Belgium