CONLANG  July 2009, Week 2

CONLANG July 2009, Week 2

Re: Holly Lisle's Create A Language Clinic

Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Jul 2009 17:02:13 +0200

Doh! Stuff languishing in my draftbox again.
Here goes:

@J. Burke (J. is for Jeff, isn't it?):I remembered
Marcus Smith's phonology generator but didn't
remember the name of the guy who wrote it, so many
thanks for the link!

I'm afraid that although I've with some success
tried to write formats for my latest word
generator which emulates the phoneme/phonotactics
flavor of certain natlangs to meet the gaming name
wishes of my son I am not all that attracted to
the idea of a conlang which in* both* phonology
and morphology emulates the same natlang, but
would rather like to mix and blend, like a lang
with a Russian-like phonology, split ergative noun
morphology and serial verbs. Also I'm somewhat
irked by the thought that the aspiring novelist
using such a language generating program would
choose a model for their aliens' language based on
some cultural or ethnic prejudice or stereotype,
like their aliens have culture and character
traits which in the writer's culture are commonly
ascribed to people from some foreign country, and
so they want them to have a language which
resembles the language of that country. To begin
with it's a cheap plot device. For example one of
the greatest of my few beefs with Tolkien is that
he made the taste of the Black Speech vaguely
Turkic, as if the Good Westerners, Bad Easterners
motif wasn't problematic to begin with. I'm afraid
he did believe that the sound of a language could
reflect the character of a people, but he also
knew that the abuses of absolutism and herd
mentality crop up both west and east -- after all
he did believe Hitler to be daemonically possessed
-- and that real life Turks were far from the
raving horde of murderous barbarians which
medieval tradition made them. The fact is that all
evidence suggests that that was a projective
characterization. The christian Byzantine princess
Anna Comnena's description of the French knights
shows that all too well!