CONLANG  July 2009, Week 2

CONLANG July 2009, Week 2

Re: Language generation software

Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Jul 2009 11:02:33 -0400

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Mark J. Reed<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Jeff Sheets<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Sure, ideally, you could specify any subset of the language and let it
> randomize the rest.  The trick is defining the language to use for the
> specification.

> Gah!  Too many "language"s!  The language the code is written in, the
> language of the specification, and the language created by the
> program.  We need some terminology here...

Well, clearly "programming language" and "conlang" are standard enough
terminology for the first and last of those.  It's the middle stage we
need a term for, and I suspect there is a term for it out there which
isn't coming to mind at the moment.

As I said, I'm inclined to start with the phonology specification
language of words.pl and build on it from there.  Those phonology
spefication files could be input to words.pl or a future iteration of
it, and also output of a more general program which takes a more
general, vague spefication of kinds of phonology and probabilities of
specific phonological parameters being chosen.   If we're clever
enough, those two programs can actually be the same program driven by
different input files -- I did this or something like it with words.pl
once before, as I said, and lost the results in a hard drive crash;
I'm sure I could do it again.  The main thing, if I remember right,
was making words.pl robust enough to handle escaped metacharacters in
its own specification language, so it could read a meta-format that
defines, not a pattern for random words in a particular phonology, but
a pattern for random phonology format files.   And I shouldn't wonder
if the same syntax, with slight tweaks, isn't flexible enough to
generate random grammars as well.  (John Fisher's original example
files had one that generated random English sentences.)   I'm copying
John's post from 1997 at the bottom of this mail, except for the
script itself; the script, with a couple of minor improvements from
myself, is on my website.

>> If the output of the system could then be used as input
>
> Iteration is good.  I considered a genetic programming approach, with
> small random mutations on the (output) language each generation, but
> the evaluation step would pretty much have to be "how much does the
> user like it", which is kinda slow. :)

I figure the output of each stage could be in two parts: e.g., the
output of the phonology phase is a phonology format file and a list of
actual words.   The user can look at the lists of words generated,
pick the one they like best, and then tell the program "take the
phonology format file that generated that list of words, mutate it
four different ways and show me the words generated by each mutation"
-- or if they like it well enough, take it as input to the
grammar/semantics phase that matches word and affix forms with
specific meanings.   (Applying consonant and vowel mutations would be
trickier.)

The output of the grammar stage might be in two parts as well: one
human-readable, maybe in HTML or in formatted text that could be
converted to HTML by an existing text-to-HTML  processor, and one more
concise and intended to be read back in by the grammar generator as a
starting point for further grammar mutations.

> Again, the difficulty is the specification syntax/language.  Sound
> change rules can get very complex as far as which changes happen in
> what environments.

I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel; let's look at one or more of the
command-line-environment sound change appliers that have already been
written, and figure out how to build our system around it so it's
compatible with it and can call it as a module to generate one
language from another.

> However, if we get the specification syntax nailed down, the result
> could be used to drive an online Glossotechnia game. :)

Hmmm, maybe so...