AUXLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: Tempting people with traffic

MacLeod Dave <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:10:14 +0900

2009/8/19 <deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]>:
> MacLeod Dave wrote:

>>> And I'm not very confident such a plan will realy draw anyone on a site
>>> that's already offering the same content in a language that hundreds of
>>> millions of people already know like English.
>>
>> Writing in a language that hundreds of millions of people know != more
>> people come to a website in said language. Writing in English gives
>> the (probably very small) chance of having lots of people come to
>> one's site one day; writing in Esperanto with such a pledge system set
>> up would give guaranteed traffic over the six month period.
>
> More people does = more *potenital* traffic.

Right. And we're writing in English here, the language of a few
billion. How much traffic does Auxlang get?

> I don't see any reason why
> Esperantists are going to be any more or less interested in what's on the
> site than an anglophone will.  Just because someone pledges to visit the
> site doesn't mean they'll like what they see enough to fully participate.

The pledge would be to visit, and participate.

>  The fact that they somehow feel obliged to visit it may just tire them
> after a while anyway.

Doubtful. Esperantists and other auxlangers are very interested in
promoting their respective languages. If the site was interesting to
begin with it would be easy enough to visit it once a day and write a
comment.

> If X% of the people out there have an interest in my
> subject matter then I'd rather have X% of the anglophone population than X%
> of some small language with only a few users.  Again this idea isn't going
> to appeal unless someone already had an interest in E-o, in which case I'd
> suspect they are already using it out there on the existing E-o blogs.

No, many people are interested in the idea of learning a language like
E-o but simply haven't gotten around to doing it. I first thought
about learning E-o back in 2000 when I noticed a book on the language
in the library in Vancouver, but didn't get around to learning E-o
(and then Ido a few days later) until 2005. It was on my to do list
for a full five years before I got around to doing it.

>>> 30-40 may be enough for a small dialog, but would small dialog really be
>>> of
>>> interest to someone running one of those large mainstream sites?  Those
>>> big
>>> high-profile sites aren't going to be very accomodating considering their
>>> decisions will be made in the boardroom with profit as the motive.  At
>>> best,
>>> expect a site run maybe by a single person who already has an interest in
>>> learning E-o.  That type of site probably doesn't bring much traffic so
>>> exposure to a new audience will be minimal.
>>>

>> The best kind of site would probably be one that is heavily centered
>> around the personality of a single blogger that likes to publicize the
>> things he or she does - here I am climbing Mountain X, here I am
>> living at a temple for a week, etc. Learning a new language would be
>> an automatic fit to something like that.
>
> I can't think of any such sites that have a big enough following to make it
> a worthwhile venture.  Personal websites are dime-a-dozen, generally of
> little interest to anyone but family and friends. Only someone with a
> certain amount of celebrity is going to get anything  more than that.  Those
> will generally be the people who don't have the time or interest to deal
> with it.  Existing social-networking sites like Facebook, Myspace or Twitter
> cover that ground pretty well already, and users already have the ability to
> post in any language, including E-o, if they wish.  I know you have a FB
> profile, so why not start by putting your own profile in E-o and using it
> for your own posts instead of, or at least in addition to English?  There
> are some E-o groups already on there that you can use to announce yourself
> as an E-ist look for people to read your posts.

This isn't about me personally, but even if I were to do that the
effect would be minimal. I'm talking about a large group that is
capable of actually making a difference. Liberafolio.org is an example
of how much traffic can be generated by Esperantists (has a PR of 6).

Your idea about some sort of auction site that gives a discount to
those using the language is a good one though.

--
http://www.pagef30.com