CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

LoCoWriMo: Story Tense

Arthaey Angosii <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:01:55 -0700

What tense do other languages use when telling stories?

In English, novels are usually in past tense. Orally told stories are
sometimes in past tense, other times in "narrative present tense" (or
whatever it's called).

In Asha'ille, I'm thinking that I'm going to make the stories (written
*or* verbal) told in present tense as the norm. You can still begin a
story with the equivalent of "once upon a time," but the verbs with
carry no marking, which means present tense. (How you would want to do
a smooth translation back into English is another question entirely.)
Is there any reason this can't be naturalistic?

--
AA