CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: Punctuation, capitalization, collation

"<deinx nxtxr>" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:45:52 -0400

Veoler wrote:
> Mark J. Reed wrote:
>> Basically, it's inconsistent. We say "the Earth", but we don't usually
>> capitalize *"the Planet", and I've seen "the World", but less often
>> than "the world." But I do usually see "the Galaxy".  These are all
>> clearly not proper names.
>
> My interpretation is that "Sol" and "Earth" are proper names, while
> "sun", "moon", and "planet" are common nouns. Earth is a planet, but
> the common noun "earth" primarily isn't synonymous to "planet".
>

> Another question: what about "Wednesday", "January" and others? They
> are common nouns in Swedish. With regard to the capitalization I don't
> care, but proper names in my conlang are morphologically distinct from
> common nouns, and I haven't yet decided how I should implement days of
> weeks and months of years.

You could always just number the days of the week: "FirstDOW",
"secondDOW", etc..  similar to what I did for SASXSEK.

I haven't quiet decided what to do for Deini, but currently they are
named after the cats.

	 (mucxr) = Monday
	 (tarik) = Tuesday
	 (vlxdimir) = Wednesday