Monospaced Font

CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: IPA & Conlangs (Was Re: A spoken-only conlang)

Matthew Turnbull <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:19:54 -0500

Whoops, the bilabial trill is voiceless [B\_0], but for some reason I missed
adding the diacritic. Acctually I almost forgot it's even in the phoneme
system, because it's a very rare sound,
and /p:/ only existed in proto-Jorayn in the inflectional paradigm, so
/B\_0/ is only found in active verbs showing quintuple person agreement.

As to why use [u_^] instead of [w], I really am not sure why I chose that
symbol, I think for a moment I was trying to emphasis it's link with /u/.

An interseting note on the ejectives of Jorayn:
In proto-Jorayn ejectives only existed in the onomatopoic word [ts)'k'] ~
the sound a fire makes, but later that became the stem for the verb
/ts)'k'aRE/ and then later a sound change ts) > ts)'. k' started turning up
all over in words, and eventually k' >k'_w in adverbs.