CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: An interesting kinship system

Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:34:36 -0700

Nivechigadu ul omu fi nu nul cunsiju djuls ímfius avevad amvuinadu, fi ni nal via djuls pecadorus avevad pedizadu, fi ni nul sedigu djuls zagagadus avevad xedjidigadu.

Saumu 1:1

--- On Mon, 8/17/09, Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<snip reallying interesting summary>

> What I found interesting from a conlang perspective is the
> idea that
> kinship terms might specify the gender of the SPEAKER as
> well as the
> target. Imagine a conlang with two words for parent "parent
> of my
> gender" (hypothetically "pamyge") and "parent of opposite
> gender"
> ("paopge"). Then a girl would call her mother "pamyge",
> while a boy
> would call his mother "paopge". Or there could be four
> terms, like the
> Matsigenka terms for brother and sister, so that one word
> is "mother"
> as spoken by a female and another is "mother" as spoken by
> a male,
> while a third and fourth word stand for "father" as spoken
> by a girl
> and "father" as spoken by a boy. There might also be
> additional words
> for "father" and "mother" as spoken by outsiders to the
> family. Thus
> an outsider might address a man as "father" as a sign of
> respect for
> his position, but use a different word for "father" than he
> would use
> in addressing his own father.

One of my confolk, the Graavglan (Speakers of Graavguurdan), do something a bit like this having different words for "brother of a male" and "brother of a female" and "sister of a male" and "sister of a female."  Actually, IIRC, there was one word that meant "same-sex sibling" and then two other words that meant "brother of a female" and "sister of a male" respectively.  One of them decomposed as "other-those," again, IIRC.  I need to look at my notes at home to be sure about all that.

> There are so many fascinating possibilities beyond what I
> tend assume
> in my American/European view of how kinship is defined.
>
> --gary

Indeed there are.

Adam