CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: Big numbers

"<deinx nxtxr>" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:42:13 -0400

Paul Hartzer wrote:

> I do find it a fun side effect of the traditional words that
> "billiard" has 15 zeroes and a game of billiards in the US has
> (at most) 15 numbered balls. One of the odder linguistic
> coincidences in unrelated words that I've encountered.

Those games that have 15 balls (not counting the cue) are typically
called "pool" here.  Many of the games don't use all the balls, such
as 9-Ball, 10-Ball, 6-Ball, 3-Ball or Bank Pool. "Billiards" would
usually mean "Three-Cushion Billiards", a game which has three balls
and no pockets. In the very broad sense, the word "billiards" tends
to cover all of these games.  The pool league I play in for example,
is governed by the BCA (Billiard Congress of America).  Snooker uses
21 balls but seems to be in a class of it's own, though  a place
that has snooker tables would generally be a "Pool Hall/Room" or
"Billiard Club".