CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: Postman Pat

"<deinx nxtxr>" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:13:19 -0400

Andreas Johansson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Paul Hartzer<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> [snip]
>> I recall being confused in Athens because 9 Suchandsuch Road was not reliably opposite 10 Suchandsuch Road.
>
> You'd loved the suburb where I spent my teens then - Suchandsuch Road
> even numbers and Suchandsuch Road odd numbers were entirely different,
> albeit usually nearby, streets. Sometimes one of them would be very
> much smaller than the other, so you might have 134 and 136 Suchandsuch
> Road but no 135 Suchandsuch Road.

In Costa Rica they put odd numbers streets on one side of town and
evens on the other, so "Calle 10" is between "Calle 8" and "Calle
12", while "Calle 9" is on the other end of town between 7 and 11.
I found this out the hard way while looking for an address only to
discover the street wasn't where I'd expect it.