CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: An interesting kinship system

Chris blank <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:27:49 -0500

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:55 AM, <deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Adam Walker wrote:
>
>  There are so many fascinating possibilities beyond what I tend
>>> assume in my American/European view of how kinship is defined.
>>>

> SASXSEK kinship terms are all sexless, except for "mama" (mother) and
> "papa" (father), and even there it's possible to just use "cin" (parent).
>
>        cin     = parent
>        zin     = child/offspring
>        sib     = sibling
>        -im     = diminutive/fractional affix
>        sibim   = half-sibling
>        tit     = parent's sibling
>        jad     = grandparent
>
> Sex markers can be added if the speaker needs to be more specific.
>
>        -ai     = (female)
>        -au     = (male)
>        zinai   = daughter
>        zinau   = son
>
> Age relationships have no special indicators, but could still be indicated
> by adjectives like "iunisi" (younger).

I've been silent since my language is fairly new and still needs some work
and thought, but kinship is one thing I have considered.

Katagor's kinship goes something like this.
mother
father
sister
brother
son
daughter
but the advanced system when getting into the outside cluster goes something
like.
father's brother
father's sister
cousin, father's sister/brother's son or daughter
mother's brother
mother's sister
cousin, mother's sister/brother's son or daughter
cousin, more distant relation of same age or younger.
uncle, any older adult related to the family group but not one's direct
uncle.
aunt, any older adult related to the family group but not one's direct aunt.
grandmother-- also the word for Matriarch.
grandfather
with no other grand anythings, others beyond this are all uncles and aunts

--
It is impossible to discourage the real writers - they don't give a damn
what you say, they're going to write.  ~Sinclair Lewis