CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: Punctuation, capitalization, collation

Lee <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:29:32 -0700

--- On Mon, 8/17/09, Paul Hartzer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> However, as
> Wikipedia points out, "Internet" may still be
>  capitalized not because of the "default referent" reason
> but because new inventions are frequently capitalized for a
> time period before they become old news enough to lose it,
> with the prediction being that "Internet" will follow the
> same pattern.
>
> -- Paul

The prediction is coming true. I forget which major publication (The NYTimes?) recently updated their style guide, including a note that "Internet" is now capitalized as a common noun.

On a a different vein, owners of trademarks are advised to actively point out the specific capitalization of their marks, or avoid losing them through common use.

Lee