CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: LoCoWriMo: Story Tense

Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:18:32 +0200

2009/8/20 Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]>:
> I'm thinking I want a set phrase equivalent to "And they are still
> living, if they have not died" (a Hungarian </fairytale> tag, where
> French and English fairy tales often have a saccharine "And they lived
> happily ever after").

German has essentially the same as Hungarian ("Und wenn sie nicht
gestorben sind, so leben sie noch heute" = "And if they haven't died,
then they're still alive today"). Modern Greek has "And they lived
well, and we['re living] better" (Και ζούσαν εκείνοι καλά κι εμείς
καλύτερα).

FWIW, the standard openings are "Es war einmal[, vor langer, langer
Zeit" = "It happened/was once[, a long, long time ago]" in German, and
Μια φορά κι έναν καιρό ~ roughly "at one time and at one point" in
Greek. I think in Japanese it's "Mukashi-mukashi", roughly "Long, long
ago".

Cheers,
Philip
--