CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: OT: Alternate characters in Braille.

Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:29:45 +0200

2009/8/20 <deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]>:
> Philip Newton wrote:
>>
>> 2009/8/20 <deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]>:
>>>
>>> Fortunately the power outage didn't lose my work so I finally
>
> came up with a scheme for both Braille and Morse by borrowing
> patterns as follows.
>>>
>>>       Ŋ /ŋ/   = ⠻ same as Spanish Ñ
>>>       Ħ /x/   = ⠳ same as Esperanto Ĥ
>>>       Ž /ʒ/   = ⠺ same as Esperanto Ĵ
>>>       Š /ʃ/   = ⠮ same as Esperanto Ŝ
>>>       Ð /ð/   = ⠱ same as Icelandic
>>>       Þ /θ/   = ⠫ same as Icelandic
>>>       The rest are the same as American English.
>>>       There is no use for the uppercase maker.
>>
>> I take it you don't need _W_, then (say, for /w/)? Since that has the
>> same dot pattern as Esperanto Ĥ.
>
> <W> is the only letter not used in the Romanization of Deini. On the keyboard I assigned it to </š>.
>
> Interesting they use that for Ĥ. I would tend to think the W pattern would be better suited to Ŭ.  For the most part Ĥ has been effectively phased out of Esperanto anyway, favoring K or sometimes H.

Oops, mistake on my part -- the dot combination that's "W" in most
languages using the Roman alphabet is Ĵ, not Ĥ, in Esperanto. And I
assume they used that not for Ŭ but for Ĵ because it's J + dot-6,
which matches the pattern of using dot-6 to indicate caron-above,
where possible.

Cheers,
Philip
--