CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: Punctuation, capitalization, collation

"<deinx nxtxr>" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:27:47 -0400

Eric Christopherson wrote:

> I vacillate on whether to capitalize things like _sun_, _moon_, and even
> _earth_. I can see reasons for either way. It is interesting to note,
> though, that we never capitalize _air_, _atmosphere_, or _magnetic
> field_, even though those are as omnipresent as the planet itself. I
> also wonder about capitalizing _internet_ for that reason.

Referring to the specific bodies, Sun and Moon are capitalized but I
won't for generic uses of "moon" as a satellite of a planet.

For the same reasons I can see *the* Internet capitalized, but
internet (the technical term, short for internetwork) without caps.