CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: LoCoWriMo: Story Tense

Paul Hartzer <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:01:47 -0700

> From: "<deinx nxtxr>" <[log in to unmask]>
> Arthaey Angosii wrote:
> > What tense do other languages use when telling stories?
> >
> > In English, novels are usually in past tense. Orally told stories are
> > sometimes in past tense, other times in "narrative present tense" (or
> > whatever it's called).
>
> Sometimes they're in the past.  Sometimes present, and could be first person.
> I've even read a few in second person.

In written narratives, second person occurs in English most often in epistolary works (such as Lewis' The Screwtape Letters), and sometimes in erotica and horror for deliberate effect. Also, text-based adventure games are often (usually? always?) written in second person present ("You've opened the door and gone through it. Now you're standing in the middle of a big garden, with pretty flowers all around and a big sky overhead. You can travel north or east.").

-- Paul