CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: Right name for Atheism

kate rhodes <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:27:27 -0400

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Bruno
Barcelos<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I was thinking about how atheism should be called in my conlang, Montreal.
>
> Since a=no and theism=believing in God, I thought using ranheid (ran=no,
> heid=God) would be kind of wrong, since the human initial status is not
> believing.

There's also the implicit assumption you've made about God (capital
G). If you weren't brought up in a Christian or Jewish world then
who's to say your vision of a higher power would be singular nevermind
that it definitely wouldn't be God.

If you're making it from the perspective of someone who doesn't
believe by default then the concept of believing in higher power(s)
would be an additive not a subtractive one. That is, it wouldn't be
the absence of belief (no god) but the presence of belief (with god).

-Kate