CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: TECH: inputting IPA/Unicode

"<deinx nxtxr>" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 16 Aug 2009 17:37:22 -0400

Herman Miller wrote:
> <deinx nxtxr> wrote:
>
>> Again, I can't vouch for Vista compatibility but as to stacking
>> diacritics, I've discovered that I can put in a dead key combination
>> that includes a "key" that is physically not on the keyboard like
>> maybe "ë" for example so that {dead-key}+ë creates something new.  I
>> haven't tried this across the board to see if ë could be another
>> deadkey so that they are nested.
>
> I think in order for that to work the "ë" needs to be mapped to a key on
> the keyboard (possibly modified by Shift and/or AltGr). E.g. if you need
> the Pinyin characters ǖ ǘ ǚ ǜ, you could map ü to a key and have dead
> keys for the tone marks.

MSKLC will spew out some warnings about assignments that don't match
a particular key when building the package but the "key" could be
something like an AltGr combination.

>> I've yet to see the Khmer script display correctly.  For some reason
>> it renders the glyphs fine but comes up looking grayish.  I'd really
>> like to find out how fonts are prioritized in general so maybe I could
>> change some settings to force my own priorties.  Most apps seem to
>> have their own way of figuring out what font to use when the deault
>> doesn't have a particular character.
>
> You might try one of the fonts listed at
> http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts_windows.html#khmer
>
> I can't read Khmer script, but the Khmer OS font looks good in Vista.
> The Vista font DaunPenh is a lot smaller relative to the other scripts.

Thanks.  I'll give it a try.  Not that I have much use for Khmer
script but I like to have it installed just in case.  I'd still like
to find a *good* kitchen-sink font.