CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: Punctuation, capitalization, collation

"Mark J. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:24:49 -0400

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Veoler<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> My interpretation is that "Sol" and "Earth" are proper names, while
> "sun", "moon", and "planet" are common nouns.

But most Anglophones speak of "the Sun", not "Sol", and when writing
they capitalize "Sun" in that phrase. Your interpretation doesn't
explain that.

> Another question: what about "Wednesday", "January" and others? They
> are common nouns in Swedish. With regard to the capitalization I don't
> care, but proper names in my conlang are morphologically distinct from
> common nouns, and I haven't yet decided how I should implement days of
> weeks and months of years.

In English, "names" and "nouns" are different, and having a "name"
bestows proper noun status.  Even though there is an infinity of
Wednesdays, they are still identified by a name - as distinct from
unnamed "days".

The seasons seem to be an in-between case; I've seen them capitalized,
but usually they're not (especially unfortunate in the case of
"spring").  Perhaps this is related to the fuzziness in their
definitions: is summer the period from the summer solstice to the
autumn equinox, as the astronomers have it?   Or the period centered
on the solstice?  Or three particular calendar months out of the year?
 Or the period of hottest temperatures?

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>