CONLANG  August 2009, Week 3

CONLANG August 2009, Week 3

Re: Postman Pat

Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:39:23 -0700

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Philip Newton<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> How would you address a letter or a postcard in your conlang --
> especially if there's a conworld to go with it?

Egad, I hadn't ever thought about this !!  I don't even have words for "post office" or IIRC "mail" in my various languages :-(((  Planet Cindu is not heavily populated (a bit larger than Earth but only 1 billion (1000 million) inhabs.).  Only Bau Da, a huge country, might have postal codes (or just use province names); a lot of it is rural, and mail delivery in wintertime would be severely compromised--also true of other Gwr nations in the far north.

In all cases, for those who live in towns/cities, Name, Street Name & house number, City/Town, (Province if there are identically named towns, as there might be) Nation, and in at least one case, Continent (to distinguish Holunda [properly H.Velu 'New H.'] (Yanatros) from the original Holunda (Hanjomim).

Kash capital cities of nations are all "enje NATION" basically 'main city of ....' so in those cases you wouldn't need the country.

Rural/isolated areas would probably use the name of the nearest town/post office, plus perhaps a "delivery route" and box number.  I really don't know.

The poor Lań-Lań, who don't have a proper written language, might have problems too.  Ay, so much to think about..............