CONLANG  August 2009, Week 4

CONLANG August 2009, Week 4

Re: Translation exercise !!

Daniel Bowman <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Aug 2009 22:30:21 -0600

"Don't wash the bottles in the dishwasher!" in Angosey.

Au kesetya an ash'hala qineeo nd!ay!

Literally:  Don't wash the bottles using the machine!

A more accurate translation would be:

Au kesetya an ash'hala qine ndash'hala eo au kata!

Don't use the machine that washes the dishes for washing some bottles!

But who would ever take the time to shout that whole phrase?

(My apologies for the confusing punctuation.  The word nd!ay contains a
velar click represented as "!", but the "!" at the end of the sentence is an
ordinary exclamation point. Since Angosey doesn't have /p/ I've been
thinking of making the letter "p" stand for this sound.)

On that subject, I will be posting a full Angosey phonology soon...perhaps
over Labor Day weekend.

--
Daniel C. Bowman
8100 Barstow NE #2204