CONLANG  August 2009, Week 4

CONLANG August 2009, Week 4

Tariatta (was Re: Translation exercise !!)]

Tony Harris <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:21:18 -0400

Oops.  I intended this to go to both Larry *and* the list, and didn't
realize it didn't.  If, however, nobody's interested in seeing more
about my secondary conlang Tariatta, then please just ignore and Larry
and I will continue the conversation off list...

> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Tony Harris <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     Larry Sulky wrote:
>
>         On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Tony Harris
>         <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>

>             Táriatta:
>
>             A pala no letath shim palikath matíkonatte.
>

>         Oooh! Pretty! Can one see more somewhere?
>

>     Glad you like it!  Unfortunately I don't have a website for
>     Tariatta yet, and although I have the grammar basically worked out
>     and 500 or so words, I haven't written anything really formal
>     about it.  I have the text from a relay on the ZBB where I used
>     it, and some other short passages, but that's about it.  I could
>     share that relay text if anyone's really interested.
>

> Yes, please, Tony, by private email if nothing else. I'm fascinated by
> languages (not just conlangs) that have a simple musicality to them;
> those that feature every diacritic in the book just frighten me.

Ah, so I imagine Alurhsa would not be one to interest you!  The
diacritics there are only used in the romanization, though.  The native
script has sufficient letters to correctly represent the language
without having to use any modifiers.

> Are geminate consonants in Tariatta pronounced as such? Or will that
> be clear from the materials that you do have?

They are indeed.  Essentially, in a quick layman-style sketch, think
Italian or Finnish for the letter values other than the digraphs th
(/T/) and sh (/S/).  And penultimate stress unless otherwise marked.

Below is a longer text, from a relay a year or two ago on the ZBB.  At
that time I was toying with using þ for th and s-hacek for sh.  But
s-hacek is challenging to type on most keyboards, so I've stuck with the
most generic representation since then.

Kesu mokiri yenne, sollisu ta ba Redeše, no addi timara tikéleššeþ ette.
Rukasu no eššaþ le šara no tanna túrkatta, tarasu no tárunneþ ette, fe
pelišasu no pa tikásasse fenétatteþ ette. In o sa, soasu no isu tena, fe
pikasu pa ólasse re mákasseþ. Piketasu ko wia si lúšasse, fe erasu nea
aka-taka lure temasa ta no tannaþ. Du lure šu ba allu ti si másisse.
Pišasu Redeše yenne noa yeku uleya, inasa ta no petísia mariše fe
ayšiše, fe šenasa ta noa yu toraši fe yu upili šela. Sallasu ole kasa no
šo, lišasu ti šone peye púanneþ ette, fe tu enne réanneþ ette ar adišasa
galakkanu tine tikana Onórette Bonea. Du šageddi šu ba délasseþ iyala
máttitteþ pe ne šakíriaþ. Tu e ar as akka ti šageddi no lesay líanneþ,
fe du o tanna Redéšette yenne ba šutosa le galákkanneþ oatte. An lešasu
Redeše yenne ar a galakkanusu pa tánnasseþ aziri ette, asarisu kofi no
lene, fe leniasu noa šu usi šim saleþ.

English:

A citizen, named Redeshe, inherited ten gold coins from his uncle. He
used the money to buy a Turkish carpet, brought it to his home, and
spread it on the floor of his parlour. After this, he drank a little
wine, and fell asleep in a chair near the fire. He awoke at two o'clock
in the morning, and saw four hundred men covering the carpet. Each man
was one or two palms high. Mr. Redeshe noticed some were important
people, wearing silver and gold armor, and riding elephants and white
rabbits. When he asked what they were doing, one brave soul climbed onto
his shoulder, and said to him in his ear that they intended to fight a
war according to the rule of Onore Bonea. Each army was in the correct
place of the pattern for the herald. He said that one army did not have
an advantage over the other, and that Mr. Redeshe's carpet was perfect
for their war. But Mr. Redeshe decided he would not have a war on his
new carpet, so he picked up a broom, and swept them all out the door.

And here is the grammar snippet I sent with it at the time:
Grammar & Notes
Tariatta is actually a pretty simple language. Structure is VSO, and it
adheres to verb-initial as much as reasonably possible. This means that
often words like temporal adverbs and relative pronouns, which you might
expect to lead off a clause, end up after the verb. Subjects and objects
retain their normal declarative sentence position even in interrogatives
and relative clauses.

Tariatta nouns do not have a plural form. The plural is indicated either
by context, such as using a plural verb or pronoun that shows that the
related noun subject is plural, or by having a number before the noun,
or by the particle "yu" before the noun. Nouns do have cases, which are
mostly shown by endings. The ones you'll see here are:
Nominative - (no ending)
Possessive - -tte
Dative - -nne (note: this also shows direction towards)
Locative - -sse
Ablative - -šše

If two nouns are in apposition, such as names or names with titles, only
the first one declines. The second remains in the nominative.

The direct object is shown by an odd syntactic use of pronouns. The
pronouns you'll see in this passage are:

e - he
o - it
oa - they (neuter/generic plural)

When prefixed with n- these become direct objects, thus "ne", "no", and
"noa" for "him", "it[accusative]", and "them" respectively. To show a
noun being the direct object, the corresponding direct object pronoun
precedes it in the sentence. This "erasu lureþ no lene" means literally
"sees man-the it[acc] broom", or "the man sees a broom".

Pronouns also take the other cases using the same endings listed for
nouns above.

There is also a predicate particle, "ba", used to indicate when
something is being defined or stated by a copula. This "du o sa ba lene"
means literally "is it this/that {predicate} broom", or "this/that is a
broom".

Adjectives do not decline or change form, and always follow the noun.

The definite article is -þ which is suffixed onto the very end of the
noun, after any case endings. There is no indefinite article.

Verbs have two, possibly three, conjugations, but really you need only a
cursory overview here. Tenses are very simple, with only the present
being done with endings on the verb itself. Past is done with an
auxiliary verb, which is a vestigial past tense of the verb "ka",
meaning "to do". See below for the forms of "ka", which is irregular.
One note on tenses, Tariatta uses a narrational time view where the very
first verb of a story is put in the past tense, but all others are
present tense even though they might be past tense in other languages.
This is to enhance vividness of the story, and is the normal usage.
Participles are also very rare, and usually replaced by a clause with a
relative pronoun.

The present tense endings you will see in this story are only third person:
-su - 3rd person singular
-sa - 3rd person plural

There are only two 2nd conjugation verb in the story, which are "dessa"
meaning "to be" and "tia" meaning "to say". Their present tense forms
are "du" and "tu" respectively, alike for all persons.

The verb "ka" meaning "to do" is conjugated in the story as follows:
kasu - 3rd singular present
kasa - 3rd plural present
kesu - 3rd singular past
No other forms of this verb appear, so I won't burden you with them.