CONLANG  November 2009, Week 3

CONLANG November 2009, Week 3

Natlang plausibility in artlanging (long and essayish!) (was: Negative space)

Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:21:58 +0100

This really veered out on a tangent...

On 2009-11-17 Daniel Bowman wrote:
 > To all you artlangers out there:  how do you use ambiguity?
 > What does it say about your language?  Have you used it to
 > bring out certain aspects of the language's artistic
 > expression?  Is it a stumbling block, or an opportunity?

Ambiguity, homonymity, synonymity and the like are
not only tolerable but desirable in my artlangs.
In fact I only wish I were better at creating
them! This is because all natlangs contain a
degree of ambiguity. In fact historical linguist
Roger Lass, who has philosophized a great deal
about the how and why of language change and the
how and why it is reconstructabile has asserted
that natlangs (i.e. rather natlang users) tolerate
a high degree of ambiguity, and that they don't go
out of their way to remove it, but only do so if
an opportunity presents itself fortuitously, which
will happen from time to time because not all
language change is destructive; it may be creative
too! (I think that the opportunity may often --
perhaps more often than not -- present itself
through language contact, i.e. words or structures
are borrowed or calqued from contact languages.
Consider the fine shades of semantics European
languages got through in the first instance
Classical borrowings, or rather Neoclassical
coinages, and in the second instance through
borrowings from each other -- French and recently
English being the great donors.)

Of course mileage may vary as to what weight
artlanger gives to natlang precedent. My artlangs
are meant to be 'naturalistically plausible', i.e.
they should have a structure which could plausibly
exist in a Terran, human natlang. (The possible
exception would be my Sohlob conlang family whose
speakers are possibly not human -- but as long as
I have not decided or not 'found out' what they
are like biologically I play on the assumption
that Sohlob should also be naturalistically
plausible).

I think that in order to be meaningful any game or
art (and artlanging is both) must have rules --
that is constraints -- on what you can and cannot
do, since otherwise you cannot evaluate it. I
observed from my own kids' and their pals' 'free'
play -- both competitive and 'role' playing --
that a lot of the playing time went into
establishing the rules/constraints of the game. Of
course there can be no objective rules for a game
or art, but only subjective rules set by the
player(s) or a body recognized by them as
authoritative; hence the oft-repeated principle
that a conlang (as indeed any work of art or
craft) can only be evaluated against the goals
that its creator has set for it. The
'natlangplaus' principle is thus only one of an
infinite number of possible sets of
rules/constraints by which one can engage in
artlanging, tho in a way any set of rules/goals
for conlanging must implicitly or explicitly be
set up in contrast -- accordance or defiance -- to
the natlangplaus, since inevitably what is and
isn't possible in a natural Terran human language
(the 'natlangposs' in my parlance) for better or
worse defines _language_ in our present
knowledge.[^1] However the natlangposs is a moving
target, since its limits are not presently known;
hence the 'natlangplaus', which for for just that
reason is not at all easy to fixate as a set of
constraints, but is flexible enough to allow
creative reflection, discussion, and
experimentation: we can use our knowledge *and*
intuition to judge what falls into the
natlangplaus.

Having a set of judgment criteria with a well-
defined core but fuzzy edges is of course a Good
Thing in art, but rather unworkable in a game (as
contest, not as amusement -- _game_ is ambiguous
in English in a way which is irking to a Swedish
speaker/writer!). In a contest on who can create
the most naturalistic artlang the constraint would
have to be that a feature must be *attested* in a
natlang[^2], which would perhaps be too
restrictive to maintain any attraction, not least
since the naturalism of a novel combination or
juxtaposition of in themselves attested features
may be in doubt; the combination may amount to a
new feature, which though natlangplaus may not be
ANADEW! Even though 'plauslangers' seldom come up
with any true non-ANADEWs[^3], at least for me
part of the attraction is the possibility of
coming up with, or rather coming upon, structures
which are natlangplaus but not ANADEW, and there
is a certain thrill in posting such a possible
linguistic novelty[^4] to CONLANG and see what
ANADEWs people come up with, as they as a rule
will do. At least to me possible novelties are few
and far between, which in fact heightens the
gratification drawn from them, as does the fact
that to me they are more often come-upons than come-up-
withs. My artlanging is mostly concoction, but the
gratification lies in exploration rather than in
contraption[^5].

[^1]: The contractions 'natlangplaus' and
     'natlangposs' derive from the shorthand (i.e.
     actual stenography, where they differ in spelling
     only by one stroke) abbreviations I adopted for
     the longer phrases, but were inspired by, and
     chime in rather well with the common community
     terms 'conlang, natlang, auxlang, loglang,
     engelang' (the last of which I BTW still think
     should be 'engilang', even though that would be
     trisyllabic!) In stenography I actually contract
     these terms even more: |COLNg, NALNg, OLNg,
     LOLNg, ELNg|, plus |HILNg, BOLNg| for histlang
     and bogolang.

[^2]: I've never used an abbreviation for this in
     either stenography or platygraphy. While |NALNgAT|
     is reasonable stenography 'natlangatt' as a
     contraction neologism seems more awkward to me.

[^3]: Do we have a term for that yet? I suggest
     NONED "NO Natlang Ever Did it".

[^4]: We need an acronym for for that too.
     Perhaps the plain acronym PLN or the
     acrosyllabonym POLINOV?

[^5]: Yes I know there may be no precedent for
     using _contrapt(ion)_ as a verb or an action noun
     in English, but I'm a conlanger for higher
     entity's sake!

/BP 8^)>
  "C'est en vain que nos Josués littéraires crient
  à la langue de s'arrêter; les langues ni le soleil
  ne s'arrêtent plus. Le jour où elles se *fixent*,
  c'est qu'elles meurent."           (Victor Hugo)