LISTSERV mailing list manager LISTSERV 16.5

Help for CONLANG Archives


CONLANG Archives

CONLANG Archives


CONLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Proportional Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

CONLANG Home

CONLANG Home

CONLANG  December 2009, Week 1

CONLANG December 2009, Week 1

Subject:

Re: Journal Writing in Underdeveloped Languages

From:

Sam Stutter <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

Constructed Languages List <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Thu, 3 Dec 2009 11:24:23 +0000

Content-Type:

text/plain

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (51 lines)

I know this isn't a journal, but this concultural card exchange is  
really pressing my conlang and I'm spending half of the development  
time simply devising grammatical structures. My language had always  
been designed to do "day-to-day" stuff, like say that the washing up  
needs to be done, and for much of the time had been roped into doing  
avante-garde poetry, so I could say how beautiful the stars are etc  
etc. However, I quickly realised my conlang was as yet unable to say  
"the weather is awful". The main body of work still remains undone:  
that is, a political address; God only knows how "letting each one of  
us rest a little easier that the threat of terrorism is being quelled"  
will come out.

I would say anything that develops your language should be a good  
thing, and if you don't like it now, you can always go back and change  
it later. I suppose the language produced at the end may be more  
natural and might even have some (joy of joys!) irregularities. And I  
guess forcing you to do some conlanging every day is good, it should  
keep the language quite fresh and you won't generate huge amounts of  
grammar to be learnt in a day and then nothing for months.

Sÿun in Manchester dà ṡlȧṡà ígqinœ túlëṫ
(Here in Manchester the weather is terrible)
Sam

On 3 Dec 2009, at 10:52, Arthaey Angosii wrote:

> I know that some of you write journal entries to practice your conlang
> fluency and/or develop your conlang for real-world usage. Do you find
> that you have to severely restrict what you say, because the
> language's vocabulary and grammar just aren't up to the task yet?
>
> For examlple... I've written a (very very basic) journal entry in my
> new conlang, Lhenazi:
>
>    http://arthaey.blogspot.com/2009/12/israesisat-ir.html
>
> First, I wrote 5 simple English sentences summarizing what I did
> today. Then I translated them as best I could, given the grammar
> that's been defined so far in Lhenazi. Even though I tried to write
> very simple English, I still had to cut out some clauses -- eg, "for 5
> hours" got removed from "I read at a café" because I haven't decided
> how to handle such clauses yet.
>
> Despite how ridiculously limited the sentences are, I *still* ended up
> coining 8 words and 1 point of grammar! I can't decide whether this is
> a good thing or a bad thing. ;)
>
>
> --
> AA

Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

Advanced Options


Options

Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=111). The server is probably not started.

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password


Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe


Archives

ATOM RSS1 RSS2



LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager