CONLANG  December 2009, Week 1

CONLANG December 2009, Week 1

Arabic Morphology Resource?

David Peterson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Dec 2009 14:21:30 -0800

So, I've hit a bit of an internet brick wall.  What I'm looking for
is a list of all the awzaan of Arabic--preferably with a corresponding
list of how each wazan is most commonly used.

To elaborate, in Arabic, you have lots of nouns that fall into
broad morphophonological classes.  For example, all of the
following are adjectives:

qasiir "short"
kabiir "big"
saghiir "small"
qaliil "small (I think?)"

They're all of the form CaCiiC.  Then you kind of see the same
thing with nouns:

kaatib "writer"
d'aabit "soldier"
waalid "father"

All of the form CaaCiC (I forget how to pluralize these.  It's been
too long...).  And plenty of others:

shitaa' "winter"
dizhaazh "chicken"
kitaab "book"

Of the form CiCaaC.

Anyway, each of these patterns is called a wazan (the plural of
which is awzaan).  And all I really want is a great big list that
shows all the forms (with faa, 'ain and laam is fine), their plurals,
the verb paradigms, and a rough approximation of what each
of these awzaan is used for.  What I don't want is a Distributed
Morphology account of Arabic morphology, or an OT account,
or a Unification approach, or any of that nonsense: I just want
a list of the data.  Has anyone come across anything like that,
or know of a book that has a nice list like this?

-David

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.com/

LCS Member Since 2007