Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  December 2009, Week 2

AUXLANG December 2009, Week 2

Re: Kn [was: letter-sound correspondences]

Risto Kupsala <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:54:13 +0200

Steve Rice wrote:
> My objection to Eo phonology (as too bloated) and
> phonotactics (too Germano-Slavic) is rather theoretical:
> it does work, and even Asian Eists seem quite functional.
> I find myself sometimes in the position of Dilbert's
> doctor, who said Dilbert wasn't pursuing a healthy
> lifestyle yet was completely healthy, which annoyed the
> doctor professionally. Eo shouldn't work, but it does,
> and that ticks me off because I don't understand why.

It could be about a skewed sample. Nobody is compelled to speak Esperanto
and nobody is compelled to go to Esperanto conferences and festivals.
Maybe bad Esperanto speakers are hiding or they are branded as eternaj
komencantoj, those who never reach more than a beginner's level in
Esperanto. There is just too much that we don't know for a fact.

Esperanto's good side is that it has phonetic spelling and most words end
with a vowel. That way it avoids many of the pitfalls where some other
Eurolangs stumble head-on.

-- Risto