Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  January 2010, Week 5

AUXLANG January 2010, Week 5

Re: Proper names [WAS: Mein Eingriff in eine Esperanto-Sendung]

"<deinx nxtxr>" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 31 Jan 2010 06:38:52 -0500

lingwadeplaneta wrote:

>>> SASXSEK has been given a name particle "li" to introduce proper
>>> nouns.
>
> It might be useful to introduce rare names, when you are not sure if
> it's a name or what, although in practice you can always say "N-town"
> or "town named N" when needed.

There are a lot of reasons to mark names, mainly having to do with the
fact that a name could be something that's also a common noun.  Marking
it as a name disambiguations that.

> sasxsek may also mean "world language", so do you want that the name
> of the language is always preceded with "li"? It could be a bit
> boring, I'd prefer to use smth like "sasi sek" when other world
> languages are meant.

Actually it means "Earth Language", with "Earth" itself being a name
too.  "sasi sek" would be "earthly language", therefore referring to the
languages of Earth. "world language" would be "muni sek".

It doesn't matter if it's boring, it's still a functional element.

>> Qakwan has a particle to introduce names and another to introduce
>> foreign words or phrases and words-as-words. Both are ended by a
>> common "end of non-standard-Qakwan" particle. Names that have been
>> assimilated to native Qakwan name form (not necessarily to native
>> phonemes) do not have to be so introduced, but still must be
>> followed by the ending particle:
>>

> must? Suppose you know Leri well, and your friend too, so will both
> of you add some particle to the name every time just for some
> abstract grammatical consistency? I don't believe it.

No worse than having to mark nouns with an article all the time or
having to capitalize names.  In S:S:'s case, nouns are unmarked, except
for proper names.  The particle "li" functions like captialization does
in writing, meaning something like "the thing called ...", or you can
think of it as a special 3rd person pronoun that's followed by the name
of the thing being talked about.  The regular 3rd person is a related
word, "lo".  There's also a preposition "lu" for connecting a common
noun or even a pronoun to a proper noun: "kat lu leilani" (cat named
Leilani, Leilani the cat, etc), "mo lu deinx ..." (I, Dana ...).  "li"
is optional when the vocative particle "e" is used because it will
generally be used with a name, title or some other proper noun though
not always.

Im many cultures people have names that are more than just labels like
ours.  They could be named after things like "flying eagle" or "flower"
or whatever so a name marker lets the listener know what follows is just
the name of something rather than the thing itself.