CONLANG  January 2010, Week 5

CONLANG January 2010, Week 5

Re: TECH: IPA Font vs. Unicode?

John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:09:42 -0500

And Rosta scripsit:

> That's a sensible answer, but I think it would entail that IPA should be a
> wholly separate script too, since if you're searching for Latin "cab", then
> IPA "cab" is irrelevant, and vice versa.

Not so clear.  If you are searching for English "chat", is French "chat"
irrelevant or not?  How about IPA "cab" and Polish "cab"?

> IPA too is like this, of course: IPA symbols have a narrower alloglyphic
> range than their counterparts in the scripts they were copied from.

Just so.

> True, yet the b-like beta (ϐ ) and d-like theta (ϑ ) could not be
> used as IPA symbols, tho they are fine for writing Greek beta and
> theta. (I observe that Unicode contains not only "Greek Small Letter
> Beta" and "Greek Small Letter Theta" but also "Greek Beta Symbol" and
> "Greek Theta Symbol", which is surely a recipe for confusion.

The beta symbol and theta symbol are, to Greeks, mildly disfavored
glyphic variants.  To mathematicians, however, they are distinct symbols,
which is why they are separately encoded and given names with "symbol".
Confusingly, the Unicode 2.0 book (the current version is 5.2) had the
glyphs for beta and beta symbol swapped, and likewise for theta and theta
symbol; many fonts were created with this error; some of them are still
lingering unfixed.

> Perhaps it is comparable to the inclusion in Unicode of "Latin Small
> Letter Long S".)

I don't understand the force of this comparison.

> I know this argument about the acute accent shape (tho I think it was Czech
> I saw it made about), but is it really comparable to the arguments about
> IPA? Polish set in a Spanish typeface will still be Polish, and Spanish set
> in a Polish face will still be Spanish. Likewise, a barred 7 is written in
> a continental European accent, but is still a 7. In contrast, a single
> decker "a" is not IPA "a"; a cursive theta is not the IPA dental fricative
> symbol; a small capital I without any sort of serif is not an IPA symbol;
> etc.

I concede your first example, since there is an emic distinction there;
but I would say that a cursive theta is a bad, but not illegible, glyph
for IPA theta, and ditto for small capital I.  Indeed, I find the kind of
"g" open to the right to be more legible in IPA than the prescribed form
that is open to the left (which has its own Unicode representation).

A world in which the font Stop exists is one in which
little can be said about mandatory glyph appearances.  See
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/urw/stop for the true horror of it.  Does "A"
have a closed top and an open bottom?  Nohow, contrariwise!

> In your (& Unicode's) hyperunificatory approach, the alloglypic range
> cannot be determined from the character code alone; the text needs to
> contain extra information, such as "This character is IPA". Imagine, say,
> an e-book where the user chooses their preferred font, e.g. for legibility:
> it wouldn't be sufficient for the text to be in Unicode, the text must also
> encode its graphological system, and the e-book software or its fonts must
> have knowledge of what is an appropriate glyph for, say, an "a" that is
> marked as "in IPA". Italics too necessitate the extra markup and software
> ken.

I think this is so in general.  Suppose (and Ghu help you) that you
prefer to read your German books in Fraktur script.  Unicode considers
the distinction between Fraktur and Antiqua (ordinary roman type) to be
purely a font distinction with no special semantics, and so allocates
only one set of characters for both.  But unless the text is scrupulously
marked up for language, merely changing fonts will not do the trick,
as all the non-German words in the text will then incorrectly appear in
Fraktur rather than Antiqua.

(In mathematics, the font/face of a letter is a fundamental part of its
meaning: thus an italic b is a scalar-valued variable, whereas a bold b
is a vector-valued valued variable; roman "sin" is the sine function,
but italic "sin" would be the product of the variables s, i, and n.
Consequently, Unicode provides font-marked clones of the Latin alphabet
for bold, italic, bold italic, script, bold script, Fraktur, bold
Fraktur, double-struck (aka "blackboard bold"), sans-serif, sans-serif
bold, sans-serif italic, sans-serif bold italic, and monospace faces
and fonts.  Likewise, there are bold, italic, bold italic, sans-serif
bold, and sans-serif bold italic clones of the Greek alphabet, and bold,
double-struck, sans-serif, sans-serif bold, and monospace clones of
the digits 0-9.  It would of course be a desperate act to use these,
rather than markup, to set ordinary non-mathematical text.)

> In the system I'd have preferred, one would have needed to resist spurious
> disunifications, but one could also enrich the overall scheme by defining
> equivalences between characters from different systems for such purposes as
> searching text. Even in current Unicode such equivalences are in principle
> needed, e.g for final and nonfinal sigma, or for roman small letter S and
> "Latin Small Letter Long S".

Unicode already has a great many of these, known as "compatibility
equivalences".  Long and normal s are compatibility equivalents, but
final and nonfinal sigma (as well as Hebrew kaf, mem, nun, pe, and
tsadi) are not.  Note that the alternations are not entirely automatic:
"filos." will have a final sigma if it means "love" and the dot is a
period, but not if it means "philosophy" and the dot is an abbreviation
mark.  Likewise, Yiddish uses a non-final peh to mean /-p/, since final
peh always means /-f/, just as in Hebrew.  Of course, nothing in Unicode
prevents you from defining your own further equivalences.

--
Barry gules and argent of seven and six,        John Cowan
on a canton azure fifty molets of the second.   [log in to unmask]