CONLANG  February 2010, Week 2

CONLANG February 2010, Week 2

First Draft Grammar for my Ideographic conlang Neoglyphic.

Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Feb 2010 17:24:58 -0800

Comments or suggestions welcome.

The language is referred to as Neoglyphic or Neo for short.

1. Orthography. Neo is written using quasi-cuneiform/hieroglyphic
ideographic glyphs made up of segments produced by a font called
Zegments.ttf. I have generated a Word document with 17,586 unique
glyphs which I am using as my source for new glyphs when I need to add
a word/glyph to the dictionary. Both the font and the 28-page document
are available at <http://fiziwig.com/conlang/neo_cuneiform.html>

Neo can also be transcribed using English words, but there is not
always a one-to-one correspondence between an English word and the Neo
glyphs. For example, the English word "fly" can be the verb "to fly",
or the insect "a fly". These two are distinct glyphs in Neo. For this
reason it is best to use hyphenated words in English transcription of
Neo. Thus "fly-verb" and "fly-insect". By the same token, there are
Neo glyphs which represent English phrases like "run away" ("flee").
These should either be hyphenated in English lexicon transcriptions or
replaced with closer English equivalents, like "flee" for "run-away".
Glyphs which are not English words are written in UPPER CASE in
transcriptions.

2. Derivatives. Glyphs have one specific part of speech. To derive
other parts of speech requires a suffix-like glyph called a derivative
which does not necessarily translate to an English word. Derivatives
are not attached to the glyph they modify. Instead, they follow the
glyph in the normal way. For example, "teacher" uses two glyphs "teach
-PERSON", and "happily" uses two glyphs "happy -WAY". These glyphs are
in UPPER CASE because they do not correspond to English words, and are
prefixed with "-" to indicate that they may not appear as nouns,
verbs, adjectives, or any other part of speech other than derivatives.

3. Sentences are made up of a subject phrase, and a complete verb in
that order. In addition there may be any number of emendation phrases
before, between, or after the subject phrase and complete verb. The
emendations serve to emend, expand upon, alter, or refine the meaning
of subject-verb pair.

4. A subject phrase is a noun phrase made up of a noun and all its
modifiers. Personal pronouns are each represented by a single glyph.
Thus "I/me" is one glyph and "he/him" is one glyph, as are "she/her",
"we/us", "they/them". The special pronoun "SOMA" means the person or
thing referenced is not known or not specified, or is irrelevant. When
translated into English one can use "one", "someone", etc. or the
passive voice. E.g. "The window was broken." or "Somebody broke the
window."

5. A complete verb is a verb glyph preceded by the imperative glyph
called "YA", and/or the negation glyph "not", or both, and/or an
optional tense modifier glyph.

	The verb glyph alone represents the present tense. "run" means "run".
	"DA" indicates the simple past. "DA run" means "ran".
	"DUN" indicates completed or finished action. Usually only used to
emphasize completion:
		"I DUN read book." (I am all done reading the book. vs merely "I
read the book.")
	The verb glyph duplicated indicates ongoing action. "run run" means
"am/is/are running".
		"John run run." (John is running.)
	"WILL" indicates future action. "WILL run" means "will run".
	"DO" glyph indicates habitual or characteristic action.
		"Dog DO bark." means "Dog, as a general rule, bark.")
	Other verb modifier glyphs might include "must", "may", "should",
"able-to", "intend-to" etc.
	The imperative can be a command like "YA run." or a suggestion or
invitation like
		"We YA go." (Let's go.)
		I not like-fancy heat. (Note the verb "like-fancy" vs preposition
"like-similar")

	If the time of the event is specified (tomorrow, yesterday, long ago)
then the past or future
	tense glyphs can be omitted. Once the tense has been established, it
may be omitted from other
	verbs in the same sentence, or other sentences in the same narrative.

6. The definite and indefinite articles do not exist.

7. Plurals are indicated either by a definite number placed before the
noun, or by a quantifier like "some" or "many" placed before the
nouns.

	Examples:

		Two shoe (pairs of shoes)
		Some shoe (shoes)

8. Possessives are marked with the POS glyph placed between the
possessor and the thing possessed, in that order.

	Examples:

		John POS book (John's book, John; his book))
		my old pair of shoes (me POS old 2 shoe)

	Complex possessives like "my father's car" are chained together with
"POS" with the first possessor
	mentioned first and the thing possessed mentioned last: "me POS
father POS car".

9. An emendation phrase is made up of a role identifier glyph followed
by noun phrase. Role identifier glyphs include:

	OBI: Thing effected by the action of the verb. If this phrase
immediately follows the verb
		then the OBI glyph may be omitted.
	TO: Recipient of the action of the verb
	TA: Location of the event.
	EN: Manner of action. Often takes an adjective plus "WAY". E.g. "EN
quiet WAY" = "quietly"
	TIM: Time of occurrence of the event. Also can take "times" like
"always", "never", "seldom", "often"
	DES: Direction or intended goal or destination of the action.
	TOP: Establish a general topic. When present, occurs aa the first
thing in a sentence.
		The topic is something that is neither the subject nor the object,
but which establishes
		a broader context for the sentence.

	Examples:

		John DA give OBI book. (SVE)
		OBI book TA school John DA give TO Mary. (EESV)
		John OBI book DA give. (SEV)
		John OBI book TO Mary WILL give. (SEEV)
		John TO Mary WILL give book. (SEVE with OBI dropped immediately after verb)
		John TO Mary WILL give OBI he POS old book.
		OBI Me POS old car TIM yesterday TO John I DA sell.
		SOMA DA break window. (The window was broken (by somebody unspecified).)
		I DA throw ball.
		OBI ball SOMA DA throw-away. (The ball was thrown away.)
		TOP artists I like-fancy Picasso. (As far artists are concerned, I
like Picasso.)
		TOP food I TIM never eat fish. (While we're on the subject of food,
I don't eat fish.)

10. No articles are used.

11. Adjective glyphs come before their associated noun glyph.

12. The copula BIN "is/am/are/be" is a glyph which indicates equality
or equivalence only. It is not used to associate an attribute with a
noun (such as "The sky is blue."), or to indicate membership in a
larger class of things (such as "Water is a liquid.")

		1 plus 3 BIN 4.
		John BIN my son. ("John" and "my son" are two names for the same person.

13. The copula "ISA" is a glyph which indicates membership in a larger
class of object.

		Apple ISA fruit.
		John ISA hunter.
		This thing ISA book.

14. The copula glyph "BIS" is used for assigning an adjective to a noun.

		He POS house BIS old.
		This cat BIS black.
		Mary POS dog BIS lost.

15. There is no glyph for assigning a location to a noun. The
preposition is used in a verb-like manner for this purpose. There are
certain special "locations" "here" (this-place), "there" (that-place),
etc.. which are treated the same as location names. An alternative is
to used the verb BE which is not the copula, and means only, and
specifically "to exist", along with the location role identifier "TA".
In other than the present tense the verb "BE" must be used and marked
with the appropriate tense glyph.

	Examples:

		John in house.
		Me POS son at school.
		Dog at here. (Dog at this-place.)
		Mary at that-place. (Mary at there.)
		Mary BE TA that-place.
		John TA house BE.
		TA house John BE.
		John DA BE TA house.
		Me POS son BE TA school.

16. Punctuation glyphs. The only punctuation glyphs are "full stop"
and "question mark".

17. A complete sentence can be nominalized, or turned into the
syntactic equivalent of a noun with the the glyph "DET". This makes it
possible for a complete sentence to become the object of any role
identifier glyph.

	Examples:

		I see DET John in tent.
		John say DET he ISA happy man.
		Mary know DET she BIN happy.

18. Nominalized sentences which have a pronoun as the subject or
object or both can also be used as post-positioned modifiers to a noun
phrase. Thus the sentence "He broke my window." becomes the DET phrase
"DET he broke my window", which may then be used as a post-positioned
modifier to "boy".

	Eamples:

		Boy DET he broke my window DA run-away.
		I WILL give book DET I find it TO man DET he need it. (OBI role
marker is dropped after verb)
		TO man DET he need it I WILL give book DET I find it.
		OBI book DET I find it TO man DET he need it I WILL give.

19. Questions are formed in one of two ways.

	If a yes or no answer is expected, then the "KAY" glyph is placed in
front of a simple statement.

	Examples:

		KAY John have book?
		KAY you go with me?

	If a question is asking for a missing piece of information then the
glyph "WOT" followed by the name of the class of the missing
information is used in place of the adjective on the noun, or the
entire noun phrase in a regular declarative sentence.

	Examples:

		John POS book BIN WOT color? Ans: John POS book ISA red book.
		You have WOT size car? Ans: I have little car.
		You WILL go DES river TIM WOT? Ans: TIM next week I WILL go DES river.

20. Conjunctions. Conjunctions join two elements of the same type into
a compound element of that shared type. For example, two nouns are
joined into a compound noun (house and garden), two verbs are joined
into a compound verb (run and play), two sentences are joined into a
compound sentence (I wait and he leaves.) Not all conjunctions make
sense in all contexts. For example, the possessive glyph POS discussed
above is a conjunction which only makes sense in the "noun CONJ noun"
context. Likewise, the conjunction "whenever" makes sense joining
verbs or sentences, but not joining nouns.

	Examples:

		Dog run and play. (verb CONJ verb)
		I sit whenever read. (verb CONJ verb)
		I not like-fancy dog or cat. (noun CONJ noun)
		Mary POS horse DA run-away. (noun CONJ noun)
		John WILL give book TO me WHEN he DUN read it. (sentence CONJ sentence)
		I WILL stay TA home IF rain fall fall. (sentence CONJ sentence)
		Mary DA leave party THEN she go DES home. (sentence CONJ sentence)
		I like-fancy potato soup BECAUSE I BIN Irish.	(or ... I ISA Irish person.)
			Note the difference between the conjunction "because" and the role
identifier "KUZA". E.g.:
			I BIN happy BECAUSE John here. vs. I BIN sad KUSA rain. The
conjunction in this case joins
			sentence to sentence, while the role identifier marks a noun phrase
as an emendation.

--gary