CONLANG  March 2010, Week 1

CONLANG March 2010, Week 1

Re: Litoria conworld

Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Mar 2010 13:00:06 -0500

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 12:00:57 -0500, Charlie Brickner wrote:

>I'm working on a sci-fi world that I've tentatively named 'Litoria'.  It is
settled
>by the survivors of a generational starship....
>My question has to do with the conlang of the planet.  One can't have a
>conworld without a conlang!  I see the language upon disembarkation as a
>descendant of the language(s) spoken on the starship.

One factor might be, how long (how many generations) was the voyage? Back in
the 60s, someone compared the dialect of contemporary Martha's Vineyard
(IIRC) with data from the 1930s dialect survey, and found distinct
differences between grandparents--grandchildren. Of course there were social
factors involved, i.e. increased influence from mainland culture, which the
younger gen. viewed a desirable. I think other studies of other langs. have
found a similar time-gap.

>My problem is that I don't know what languages to start with on a venture
>such as this.  Surely the people all spoke the same language when they set
>out, but perhaps there are several dominant ethnic groups.  What might those
>be?

Hate to say it, but in the not too distant future you almost have to include
some Chinese, maybe some Indians, maybe even some evil Russians (probably
all tech geeks :-(( ) Probably everyone would speak English. But one group
might come to be viewed as more talented/interesting/witty/worthy of
imitation.... Perhaps some kids might adopt Chinese mispronunciations,
another group Indian intonation and retroflexed /t d n/; some might adopt
the Russian habit of dropping the articles and who knows what else. (My
favorite Nadsat word was "horrorshow")....

>Or could I just project a future development of English itself?

Along with all of the above.