Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  March 2010, Week 5

AUXLANG March 2010, Week 5

Re: Auxlangs in multimedia art forms (spinoff thread)

Olivier Simon <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 Mar 2010 03:04:07 -0400

Sellamat prients !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Steves
>> with a touch of Berlitz: since it's possible to gain a fair command of the at-
sight auxlangs much more quickly
>> and easily than Spanish, learn an auxlang and use it to hang out with the
locals. The guide will help you with
>> the language (brief grammar, Berlitz-style phrasebook) and give you info on
where and how you can do your exploring.

I don't know R.Steves; are there some of his guides available on-line (or at
least some samples) ?
Of course, I already have some "phrasebooks" at home; the ones "langues de
poche" made by Assimil which are indeed halfway between a grammar of the
language and a true phrasebook.
For an auxlang, the problem is that it is not linked to a particular country... I
may have mixed my different phrasebooks (Indonesian, Afrikaans, Icelandic)
but it would have considerably lengthened the book:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/25007831/Sambahsa-Phrasebook
Anyway, it's more interesting to the Esperanto "langue de poche" which I
could download in its German Version (Kauderwelsch): completely Eurocentric
and dedicated to Esperanto congresses... (that's true !)

Here are the few excerpts from a "lonely planet" I had tried to write in
Sambahsa:
Languages difficulties

Do you speak English ?      Bahte yu englisch ? [ba:t_yu Englic ?]
Do you understand ?          Pretet yu ? [prEtėt_yu ?]
I (don’t) understand.           Io (ne) prete. [yo (nė) pret]
Could you please...             Maghiete yu... [magyEt_yu...]
repeat that.                         repetihes to [rėpėtI:s to]
speak more slowly              bahe lenter [ba: lEntėr]
write it down                        niscribe id [niskrIb id]

Numbers

0 : zero [zEro]
1 : oin [oyn]
2 : dwo
3 : tri
4 : quar [kwar]
5 : penk(we) [pEnk(wė)]
6 : six [siks]
7 : sept(em) [sEpt(ėm)]
8 : oct(o) [Okt(o)]
9 : nev
10 : dec [dek]
20 : dwogim [dwOdjim]
30 : trigim [trIdjim]
40 : quargim [kwArdjim]
50 : penkgim [pEnkjim]
60 : sixgim [sIkjim]
70 : septgim [sEpdjim]
80 : octgim [Okdjim]
90 : nevgim [nEvdjim]
100 : cent [tsent]
1000 : mil
1 000 000 : oin million [oyn milyOn]

Time & dates

What time is it ?     Quod est id saat ? [kwod est id saAt ?]
It’s one o’ clock.      Est oin saat [est oyn saAt]
It’s two o’ clock       Est dwo saat [est dwo saAt]
Quarter past two     Dwo saat penkdem [dwo saAt pEnkdem]
Quarter to two         Oin saat quargim penk [oyn saAt kwArdjim penk]
At what time  ?        Ye quod saat ? [ye kwod saAt ?]
a.m.                         aghyern [Agyėrn]
p.m.                         posmiddien [posmidyEn]

Monday                  mundie [mundI:]
Tuesday                 ardie [ardI:]
Wednesday            credie |krėdI:]
Thursday                khamsi [qAmsi]
Friday                     juma [jUma]
Saturday                sabd
Sunday                  mingo [mIngo]

Yesterday              ghes [ges]
Today                    hoyd
Tomorrow              cras [kras]

Last (in time)        akhire [aqIr]
Next                     niebst [nyebst]
Night                    noct [nokt]
Week                   hevd
Month                  munt
Year                    yar
Morning               aghyern [Agyėrn]
Afternoon            posmiddien [posmidyEn]
Evening              vesper [vEspėr]

What date is it today ?                Quod est id tarikhe hoyd ? [kwod est id
tarIq hoyd ?]

It’s 15 december            Est dien penkdem december [est dyen pEnkdėm
dėtsEmbėr]

Border crossing

I’m here                        Som her…
In transit                       in transit [in transIt]
on business                  in commandire [in komandIr]
on holiday                     in ferias [in fEryas]

I’m here for                  Som her pro
10 days                        dec diens [dek dyens]
three weeks                 tri hevds
four months                 quar munts [kwar munts]

I’m going to...                                  Gwahm [gwa:m]
I’m staying at the Hilton.                 Mukamo id id Hilton [mukAmo in id hiltOn]
I have nothing to declare                Ho neid ad declare [ho neyd ad dėklAr]
I have something to declare           Ho semject ad declare [ho sEmjEkt ad
dėklAr]
I didn’t know I had to declare it       Ne gnohsim io skul declare id [nė nyO:si