Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  March 2010, Week 5

AUXLANG March 2010, Week 5

Re: Auxlangs in multimedia art forms (spinoff thread)

steve rice <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:35:46 -0700

--- On Sun, 3/28/10, Leo Ki <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> steve rice <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> > I've considered a few environments that might be
> workable. For example, (...)
> > These could be used as recruiting tools for at-sight
> auxlangs and/or training tools for auxlangs in general.
>
> The training tool part is what I had in mind. Imagine a
> game such as
> Portal ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_(video_game) which
> features very original topological puzzles backed by a
> consistent
> story background) but use language understanding as the key
> to some or
> most of the puzzles, and a progressive introduction of new
> words the
> way new tools and weapons are introduced in classical
> games.

I was thinking about a fairly standard English-language text-based adventure game with an auxlang setting. The clues to solving the puzzles would involve the auxlang more and more as the game progressed, so the player would move from single words to phrases. Eventually the game itself would shift into the auxlang.

Granted, developing an
> interesting and
> challenging game environment takes time, lot of time, and
> some skills
> in scenario writing, level design, game mechanics and
> such.

I've put together some small games, but nothing using an auxlang so far. I've considered producing some games set in the post-apocalyptic world of _Rise of the New Dawn_ and _The Gate of Hell_, in which the world is emerging from a dark age, Eo is the international language of scholarship, LFN serves as "New Spanish," and what the Europeans are using is really Ia and Occ.

> The webcomic plan is probably less demanding and faster
> tested as a
> commercial activity within auxlangs - since this was a key
> point of
> the discussion back on the initial thread. The Japanese
> comic
> publishers seem to be progressing steadily into the web and
> phone
> readership (the rest of the world lagging behind but
> struggling), so
> there might be a niche for some of the largest auxlangs.
> The big
> question is how fast piracy will ruin the business or if a
> donation
> system will make more than 3 cents a month or if any
> advertisers will
> want to put up their pretty banners. Many people don't like
> to pay for
> art because they don't consider it work, but let them try
> to produce
> high quality stuff on their tired week ends...

And anyone can do it now and then, but turning out a good story or gag day in and day out is not easy.

It has been suggested that since some Web comics are open to translation based on their Creative Commons license, one could simply go that route. Or it would be possible to create a comic. I have an idea for one that would probably work, though it's computer-oriented, so I'd need the tech vocabulary in place.

> > Conclusion: Produce travel guides similar to those by
> Rick Steves http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Steves
> > with a touch of Berlitz: since it's possible to gain a
> fair command of the at-sight auxlangs much more quickly
> > and easily than Spanish, learn an auxlang and use it
> to hang out with the locals. The guide will help you with
> > the language (brief grammar, Berlitz-style phrasebook)
> and give you info on where and how you can do your
> exploring.
>
> I'd suggest doing a market study in the tourism forums in
> order to
> fine tune the selling blurb of the concept. The bare
> concept should
> have a dose of attractiveness for some people, but for the
> rest, how
> do you plan to get their attention? You might also do some
> testing on
> Wikitravel even if it's not intended for that.

The cheap way to prepare for the project would be to have people who have done auxlang tourism already write up their experiences for newspapers and magazines. It would be a hard sell, but any success at all would lay the groundwork for a travel guide. If they have more money, they could simply go on an auxlang tour with a camera crew along to document their experiences--it could be just friends or relatives with good camera skills. Then upload the result (or segments thereof) to YouTube; subtitles might be useful.

The books wouldn't be commercially successful at first--few such ventures are. They would need to build a fan base, but that should be possible. And not everyone is psychologically suited to such a trick: you have to be somewhat adaptable and willing to take risks. But it should work often enough that it would help validate the idea of auxlangs (my primary goal, actually) while increasing the economic viability of the auxlang chosen.

> > No, this will be an English-language novel, though it
> will serve to raise awareness of auxlangs.
> > There is an Esperantist character who is one of the
> only decent and sane people the reader sees,
> > but it's more about how people outwit themselves as
> they try to outwit everyone else.
>
> Will there be some Babel-17 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babel-17
> flavor in it, or will you give languages a more objective
> aspect?

Nothing Whorfian here, though the antihero of the piece promotes an auxlang that is meant to make its users sound stupid. He does a number of things that appear to complicate his work, but it's really because he believes people are more likely to fall for a double-, triple-, or quadruple bluff. ("It's not enough to lie; you must lie outrageously. People want to be deceived, be they really want, as we codgers say, to be pwned.") There are only three characters who really are what they claim: his friend Parker, his naive cousin Harold, and the previously mentioned Eist. Everyone else is some form of rat and gets taken in (and Harold is somewhat self-deceived).

Steve