Help for PED-EM-L Archives

PED-EM-L Archives

PED-EM-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

PED-EM-L Home

PED-EM-L  April 2010

PED-EM-L April 2010

Re: Survey - Workload Modifications for Older Physicians

Ted Walkley <[log in to unmask]>

Ted Walkley <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 11 Apr 2010 13:50:19 -0700

As a "senior" physician who still enjoys working full time I find the
discussion interesting.

We are a very young subspecialty. There are only a few of us who go back
to the original retreat that established PEM as a subspecialty in 1987
or 1988. At some point we will all have to face the issues of longevity
in a complex specialty. The experience and skills of senior physicians
is valuable to the department. That experience and the opportunity to
pass it on keeps me going. We need to find a way to keep those
experienced physician practicing as long as they are able, recognizing
that there are will be some limitations. Better to plan for it than face
the loss of so much talent

This on-line discussion mimics the ones adult side faced a few years
ago.  Now they recognize it as an issue.  ACEP have a number of
excellent resources and I have enclosed their policy.

Or department exempts physicians from nights at around 55.  New hires
understand that they will need to work more nights but that they will
with time work less. Our second evening shift is a bear (5PM to 2AM). It
is not just the issue of being sharp at 0300 it is the issue of recovery
that changes with age no mater what we think or hope.

Ted Walkley MD FAAP FACEP

Mary Bridge Children's Hospital

Considerations for Emergency Physicians in Pre-retirement Years

Originally approved by the ACEP Board of Directors June 2009

The American College of Emergency Physicians recognizes that an
increasing percentage of its members are entering retirement or
pre-retirement years. In an effort to enhance and prolong the careers of
emergency physicians in the latter stages of their professional lives,
to ensure patient safety, to promote continued membership and
participation in the College, and to facilitate the transition of
emergency physicians from active practice to semi- or full retirement,
the following guidelines are offered:

*         Physicians and physician groups are encouraged to be mindful
of the limitations that may accompany the aging process. In compliance
with age discrimination laws, appropriate policies to evaluate and, to
the extent possible, accommodate specific limitations can provide the
senior physician with a supportive environment in which to deliver
quality care.

*         As may be feasible or appropriate, a variety of work load
modifications can be implemented:

*         Consider minimizing or eliminating assignments to rotating,
late evening or night shifts as a means of minimizing circadian stress.

*         Encourage older providers to work more day shifts on weekends
in exchange for night shift assignments.

*         Follow scientifically-based scheduling recommendations when
possible. This may include consistently scheduling senior physicians to
a single shift segment of the day/night cycle to preserve a period of
core sleep, or scheduling clockwise rotations (morning, afternoon and
night) to minimize circadian disruption.

*         Consider scheduling additional time off for recovery after
night shifts.

*         When possible, shorten shifts to periods of eight to ten hours
or less, and schedule fewer consecutive clinical shifts.

*         When possible, adopt scheduling strategies that best match
patient volume and acuity to the work pace of the senior physician.

*         When possible, allow those senior physicians who are willing
to exchange clinical responsibilities for administrative or teaching
duties to obtain the requisite training to do so.