Monospaced Font

CONLANG  May 2010, Week 1

CONLANG May 2010, Week 1

Re: Chomskian analysis of this sentence? -- What's in universal grammar really?

R A Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 May 2010 18:03:20 +0100

Elliott Lash wrote:
> Roger and Ray wrote:
>
>>> But I confess, I'm talking about things I never knew
>>> well, and have forgotten much, and haven't kept up
>>> with... Perhaps Elliott can find the time to update
>>> me and all of us as to how things stand in current
>>> TG-derived grammars (without having to write a
>>> dissertation before he's ready :-)))) )
>
>> I have a suspicion that Elliot will update us sometime.
>> I shall certainly be interested to see his
>> observations.
>
> Sorry for the delay. Here is my 'generative analysis'.

That's OK - IMO it was worth waiting for. I've made some
observations below. Some points, I am certain, arise from my
faulty understanding of Minimalist generative syntax.

> Okay, so, I've already proposed the 'generative
> hypothesis concerning the sentence:
>
> Ultima Cumaei venit iam carminis aetas.
>
> The hypothesis is that there is a movement operation
> originally due to topicalization or some discourse
> related meaning. Furthermore, I elaborated the hypothesis
> by saying that given the constraints of the meter in this
> poem, this topicalization movement was reused in order to
> fit the meter by the poet (Virgil).

I think it's focus (in the sense of "[s]pecial prominence
given to some element in a sentence which represents the
most important new information.." [Trask]) rather than
topicalization that is at work here. The focus is on _aetas_
and the normal place in prose to shift such an element is to
the end; this is precisely what Vergil's done.

But most certainly constraints of meter are also important.
If one experiments with these six words, one finds that:
_ultima_ has to placed first;
_carminis aetas_ has to be placed at the end.
The last two feet always consist of a dactyl and spondee
and, in Latin, the word stress will (almost) always coincide
with the first heavy syllable of each of the two feet (i.e.
word stress & rhythm beat coincide).

We can't BTW finish with _ultima aetas_ since the final -a
of _ultima_ would be elided before _aetas_, i.e. we'd have
only: heavy, light, heavy, heavy.

It would appear that Vergil had no choice but to place
_aetas_ last irrespective of whether it is the focus or not.
  But I think that misses the point. It was surely questions
of focus, among others, that led Vergil to choose the words
which he did. We don't have his notebooks, so we have no
idea what draft versions he may have had; but possibly he
tried other ideas.

In an email of 24th April I gave other word orders he could
have used besides the one he actually did. The others were:
2. ultima venit Cumaei iam carminis aetas
3. ultima venit iam Cumaei carminis aetas
4. ultima iam venit Cumaei carminis aetas
5. ultima iam Cumaei venit carminis aetas
6. ultima Cumaei iam venit carminis aetas

It was normal to find that verse beat and word stress did
_not_ coincide the 2nd, 3rd and 4th feet. This produced a
sort of counterpoint or tension, which is resolved in the
final two feet (how the 2nd, 3rd & 4th feet should be read
is a matter of controversy). Thus:
2 - word stress coincides with beat in 2nd foot;
counterpoint only in 3rd & 4th;
3 - word stress & verse beat coincide throughout; [*]
4 - word stress & beat coincide in 4th foot; counterpoint
only in 2nd & 3rd;
5 - word stress & verse beat coincide throughout; [*]
6 - word stress & beat coincide in 4th foot; counterpoint
only in 2nd & 3rd.

[*] arguably stressing _iam_ word not be normal in prose;
but in these versions the word stress of _Cumaei_ and
_venit_ coincide exactly with the verse beat.

So, verse constraints rule out 3 and 5 immediately (unless
one wants to produce doggerel). Versions 2, 4 and 6 are
somewhat lame. From a metrical point of view, Vergil's word
order is the best possible; but also, as I attempted to show
in my email 2nd May that IMO it is also _semantically_ the
best word order. I am sure Vergil was working on both the
semantics and metrics of poem at the same time.

> Now, let me give the beginnings of analysis in a version
> current 'Minimalist' generative syntax. ('Minimalist' in
> quotes because sometimes one can lose track of why
> exactly it's called Minimalist.)
[snip]

Thanks for snipped explanations. This is not explained the
reference books that I have.

> With those preliminaries, this is how I would analyze the
> sentence:
>
> let us say we have the content lexical items: ven- (V),
> iam (Adv), carmen- (N), ultim- (A), aetat- (N), Cumae-
> (A)
>
> And the functional: C(Feature: TOP+EPP/movement),
> T(Feature: Past+EPP/movement, PHI:?).

Two points:
1. I don't see any topicalization here. This would require
some element being fronted. In fact the sentence with
subject (or part of the subject), which is what any unmarked
sentence does. What I do see, however, _focusing_, as I
explained above. So would that be: C(Feature:
FOC+EPP/movement) ?

2. I'm sure _Past_ is not correct here. Sure, _ve:nit_ is
the 3rd person singular of the perfect tense indicative of
_veni:re_ "to come". But the Latin perfect indicative had
two uses:
a. perfect aspect, present tense
b. perfective aspect, past tense
I am sure Vergil means (a) here. The final age of the world
has already come - it _is_ now here [Present].

> Lets start by creating the subject phrase. Carmen is
> merged with the noun Cumae- and 'N' is projected since N
> is the head of this phrase: [NP [N Cumaei N carmen-]]

Earlier you gave 'Cumae- (A)' and now we have 'N Cumaei'. Is
this because the adjective _Cumaeus_ (stem: Cumae-) is
itself derived from the proper noun _Cumae_? Though _Cumaei_
is the genitive singular neuter of the adjective _Cumaeus_
(the genitive of _Cumae_ is, of course, _Cumarum_).
Basically, I'm unclear why you have "[NP [N Cumaei N
carmen-]]" but "[NP [A ultim-] [N' [NP [N Cumaei N
carminis]] N aetat-]]" below. The head of the phrase _Cumaei
carminis_ is _carminis_ and, in traditional parlance, the
adjective _Cumaeus_ becomes _Cumaei_ to agree with the
genitive singular neuter noun _carminis_.

I'm a bit confused here?

> The genitive case is usually said to be a case licensed
> under selection by a nominal head, so in this case, the
> genitive 'Cumaei' is licensed by virtue of being selected
> by another nominal. Note that 'carmen-' itself is still
> not case marked at this point, i.e. it has an unvalued
> case feature.

Yes, but the whole phrase _Cumaei carminis_ ("of Cumaean
prophecy") is selected, surely, by the noun _aetat-_, i.e.
both _Cumaei_ and _carminis_ are selected by _aetat-_. So
if 'carmen-' is still not marked by case, surely 'Cumae-'
shouldn't be either, as I see it. Maybe I'm missing something.

> This phrase is complete at this point so
> the label of the phrase is 'NP'. Note that the complement
> is to the left of the selecting head. This is because
> Latin is (like Ray said) mostly an SOV language, at least
> in prose.
>
> Then the separate noun 'aetat-' is merged in, selecting
> the already formed NP as its complement:
>
> [N [NP [N Cumaei N carminis]] N aetat-]
>
> The genitive case of 'carmen' is added under selection by
> a nominal head. The case feature of 'aetat-' is still
> unvalued.

OK - I see why it's [N [NP [N Cumaei N carminis]] N aetat-]
at this point.

> Then the adjective is added. The phrase is projected to
> NP, since the phrase is complete: [NP [A ultim-] [N' [NP
> [N Cumaei N carminis]] N aetat-]]

Agreed.

> The Agree relation holds between A and N(aetat-) and they
> agree (abstractly) for case, number and gender. There is
> a strain in Minimalism that allows us not to express this
> abstract agreement until after the derivation is done,
> that is, when the phrase leaves syntax and is interpreted
> by the phonological system. For this reason I will leave
> the endings out. This helps us because of the portmanteau
> nature of Latin endings - we can't actually fill in any
> ending at this point since we still don't know the case
> feature of the N (and by extension the A).

You mean because _aetas_ <-- *aetat-s, where an original
[ts] has given way to just [s]. But there also a slight
problem with _carminis_; the nominative is _carmen_ but the
genitive is _carminis_. I noticed you gave carmen- as the
uninflected base; this is certainly correct from a
diachronic point of view, since _carminis_ developed from
*carmenis by way of vocalic weakening of unstressed
syllables in early Latin.

> So, our subject phrase is complete. We merge this with
> the verb:
>
> [V [NP ....aetat-] V ven-]
>
> To which we can add the adverb: iam:
>
> [VP iam [V [NP .... aetat-] V ven-]]
>
> Then we merge this with the functional item 'T', which
> has the feature 'Past+movement' as well as unvalued 'phi'
> features (number, person). The label of T is projected.
>
> [T T(PAST, PHI) [VP iam [V [NP ..... aetat-] V ven-]]]]

Excepting 'PAST', which I've commented upon above, I go
along with this.

> So, two Agree relations are set up: between the tense
> feature of T and the unvalued tense of the verb. Because
> of the movement diacritic, this Agree relationship forces
> the verb to 'move' to T. This represents the fact that
> the verb is associated with two functional layers:
> argument structure and event structure. It moves from the
> argument structure domain (the VP) to the event structure
> domain (the TP). The second Agree relation is between
> the PHI of T and the number/person features of the
> subject noun. Since this is 3S, the verb (which is now
> in T) gets the ending -it. And also due to this
> relationship, the case feature of the subject is valued:
> +NOMINATIVE, and hence we can fill in the endings of the
> N and A now.

Right - I follow all this and, if I've followed everything
correctly, it makes perfect sense.

> The label of T is projected as TP to
> indicate the end of a phrase.
>
> [TP T-V venit [VP iam [V [NP [A ultima] [N' [NP Cumaei
> carminis] N aetas]] <V>]]]]
>
> (Note, that I indicate the movement of V by placing it in
> <> in the original position.

This is where I start to get lost again - not surprising, I
guess, as I'm in terra_incognita (as least _incognita_ to
me). I do not understand why the verb has left its original
position and been fronted.

> After this, the null-complementizer C is merged (remember
> with features that indicate it is concerned with
> topicalization and that topicalization must be fulfilled
> by movement, i.e. C(Feature: TOP+EPP/movement).
>
> [C [TP T-V venit [VP iam [V [NP [A ultima] [N' [NP Cumaei
> carminis] N aetas]] <V>]]]]]

There may be good reason for all this. But it seems to me
that having got - I'll miss all the labels because I'll
probably get them wrong - essentially:
[[ultima [Cumaei carminis] aetas] venit]
which is a perfectly good and normal prose word order, we then:
i. shift the verb to the front
ii. then topicalize the noun phrase
iii. then 'copy' noun phrase after the verb with 'scattered
deletion'.

Why don't we retain [[ultima [Cumaei carminis] aetas] venit]
and by a process of _focusing_ go strait to (iii)? Going
through steps (i) and (ii) seem to me to be making it more
complicated than it need be and also seems not to reflect
the Latin.

> The topic feature of C targets NP (although it is unclear
> from the current theorizing what determines what thing is
> targeted in this case). The NP is moved to adjoin to C
> and the label CP is projected.
>
> [CP [NP [A ultima] [N' [NP Cumaei carminis] N aetas]] C
> [TP T-V venit [VP iam [V [NP ... ]]]]]

See above.

> Now, comes a somewhat worrying feature of minimalism: the
[snip]

Yes, it does seem to be :)

> Given this, a possible analysis is to say that, 'ultima'
> and 'Cumaei' are retained in the CP domain but deleted in
> the VP domain while 'aetas' and 'carminis' are retained
> in the VP and deleted in the CP.

I can see some sense in this. When Vergil wrote 'ultima
Cumaei' he obviously must have had 'ultima Cumaei ...
carminis aetas' in his mind; likewise, when he wrote
'carminis aetas' at the end, he would be mentally
associating them with the 'ultima Cumaei' of the beginning.

> I told you it was it is very scary. I think there is
> much to be said for the copy theory and even deletion of
> this sort - however, in the Latin case, I can't really
> see how it would be supported (arguments for scattered
> deletion tend to involve prosodically weak elements that
> need to be supported by a strong element).

I think I will need the bit in parentheses explained ;)

> There is a much more plausible story which Ray hinted at:
> the adjunction story. In this analysis, 'carminis' and
> 'aetas' are part of an NP that is adjoined to the CP and
> 'ultima Cumaei' are part of an NP that is the actual
> subject:

It does seem to me closer to how it the sentence would be
perceived by listeners (and readers).

> [CP C [TP [NP ultima Cumaei] [T T-V venit [VP iam [V [NP
> <ultima Cumaei>] <V>]]]] [NP carminis aetas]]
>
> This tree changes three things: (1) the subject NP moves
> from the argument structure domain (VP) to the
> inflectional domain (TP), after its nominative case was
> licenced by agreement between T and the subject. (This
> type of analysis comes directly from Chomsky's original
> analysis of English and is often applied to other
> languages. In this analysis, languages like Latin are
> said to have an optional subject movement and even
> optional subject, while English obligatorily has a
> subject and subject movement).

Right - I guess it's probably 'subject movement' I'm failing
to understand. But, yes, subjects are optional in Latin. The
verb ending - as indeed in all the Romance languages except
French - is often clear enough to indicate the subject. At
school we used to say "the subject is in the verb." Also
Latin does have impersonal verbs where there simply is no
subject, "understood" or otherwise.

> The lower copy (in the
> VP) is deleted. (2) The C no longer is associated with
> topicalization - it is just there as a marker of
> declarative force (as opposed to interrogative or
> something like that) (3) The final NP is not moved at all
> to attach to its high position. It is rather generated in
> that position as an adjunct. The link betweem 'ultima
> Cumaei' and 'carminis aetas' is therefore purely
> semantic.

I like (3) :)

> I think that's my story. :-) (note that I am not a Latin
> expert - and thank goodness for that! The hoops that
> Latin generativists must jump through. It makes Old
> Irish look easy. And that's saying something).

I guess I'm agnostic about generativist theories, rather
than skeptical. But exercises like this are IMO worthwhile
as they serve to highlight the different structures that
languages have - and it's these differences in structure
that intrigued me more half a century ago and still intrigue
me.

--
Ray