PED-EM-L Archives

PED-EM-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

PED-EM-L Home

PED-EM-L  June 2010

PED-EM-L June 2010

Re: EMR

"Lennarz, Billy M." <[log in to unmask]>

Lennarz, Billy M.

Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:41:00 -0400

I would respectfully disagree... ED is one of the areas (along with L&D,
NICU, Operating Room/Anesthesia) where workflow and documentation,
coupled with efficiency demands are so unique that having "best of
breed" ED software will often outweigh the value of an enterprise-wide
look alike uniformity.

The value of well honed work-flow, compliance and quality driven
content, and charge capture for billing of a good, focused, ED product
should not be underestimated (and can cost you millions in losses of
efficiency (cost) and revenue.  Being the veteran of 3 enterprise wide
EMR ramp ups (including both Cerner and EPIC) and NOT having been
involved in the front end decision making, I would say the most
important strategy is to GO INTO THE ENTERPRISE contracting process
setting expectations for interface with best of breed (which the
enterprise companies call "niche" software). This is also the biggest
challenge. The interfacing is not so complex, and with CCHIT they are
all required to have the capacity to do it.  But it has to be "built in"
up front.  Yes, for sure you want your record to end up in the
enterprise system and to be able to easily access the enterprise system
for patient medical records.  But this need should not commit you to
significant decrement in work flow, accuracy, safety, compliance or
finance.  You can have both

Final comment:  Be wary that many of the folks who say their
enterprise-wide system works "just fine" in their ED's rely upon a
resident and med student labor force to overcome the inefficiencies
inherent in those systems when applied to ED.  Compare your enterprise
wide ED module (in person, not just by "demo") to a best of breed, such
as electronic T system, before contracting with the enterprise system.
Then figure out how to integrate. I realize that there may be a lot of
political and organizational challenges with this process.  But I think
it is the ideal approach.

Billy Lennarz

William Lennarz, MD, FAAP, FAAEM
Vice President Medical Affairs, Pediatrics, Bon Secours Virginia
off 281.8541 / cell 804.307.9328 / fax 804.281.8581
Executive Assistant:  Karen Shelby 804.281-8243 |

The information contained in this email message is legally privileged,
confidential and may contain medical information intended for an
established health care provider of the named patient or those involved
in official institutional quality or peer review. The entire contents of
this email communication (including any subsequent email communication
attaching, responding to or discussing the subject email communication)
is privileged pursuant to Virginia statues, the federal Health Care
Quality Improvement Act of 1986, and other applicable law.   It is
intended ONLY for this use.  If the reader of this message is not the
distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.  If you
receive this email in error, please notify us immediately by telephone
804-281-8541 and destroy this communication.