AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

Monospaced Font

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  July 2010, Week 2

AUXLANG July 2010, Week 2

Re: Bilabial Trill as a sound in an auxlang.

Zeinelabidin Elhassi <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:23:28 -0400

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:30:41 +0200, Kjell Rehnstr&#246;m <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> Te' te'
>> This is a very common click in my mother tongue. It means No.
>> I don't know how to write it exactly even in Arabic. My mother tongue , the
>> Libyan Arabic dialect is not a written language. It was really funny when
>> we
>> first wrote it widely, 6 or 7 years back on the internet. Now it's not
>> funny any
>> more.
>>

>This is very interesting. Why did you prefer writing in the dialect. What
>was your reason for doing that?

This is a very very interesting topic.
The natural thing is that people are more comfortable with the use of their
home languages than the Lingua franca if their friends speak the same mother
tongue. Although they really master the Lingua franca that is not too far from
the mother tongue ,it's a real and clear evidence in the Arabic situation that
people prefer to use the complete basic structure of their the mother tongue
(dialect) over the Lingua franca in the absence of specific stimuli.

Directly, What makes people use the Lignua franca is usually the presence of
people who do not understand their mother tongue, unless the Lingua franca
has native speakers with a powerful attracting culture and products that
encourages others to use this Lingua franca even in the presence of only their
bilingual mother tongue speakers ,and with a tendency to mix the foreign words
only if they spoke with an 'underlying' mother tongue. (That is why few words
each time from the Lingua franca start to be fixed to the mother tongue)

When Arabs use their Lingua franca (the standard Arabic) ? It's when they talk
scientifically/formal speech, when they are forced to write in it by a
government because of Arabization, when they want to address all Arabs like
"some" TV channels or finally when they meet Arabs who speak other dialects
which they cannot understand. The standard that is taught in the school
becomes essential in these situations.

Here in Libya , I don't know whether I am lucky to see the main linguistic
problems in a small scale or I am totally unlucky to understand how some of its
serious impacts are experienced. I will mention the situation from my point of
view ,because the standard language versus the dialects in addition to the
minority languages in the Arab world can tell most of the story.

Before the internet, people wrote and read the Standard Arabic in newspapers
and books while in everyday life they spoke the dialect which is until now
gradually and very slowly moving towards the standard Arabic due to its very
extensive use in the schools to teach all sciences in the elementary and high
school except when teaching English language sometimes (most of the time , to
learn English, students are dependent on Arabic) In relation to the dialect, the
standard language has nearly identical most parts of the least used vocabulary
,in addition to similarities in some other parts of the vocabulary with the
dialects. (But the differences between each of the dialects and the standard
Arabic are still sometimes like for example the differences between some
languages in Italy. The linguistic differences in the span of Arabic languages are
so great between many extremities of the Arab world ,and I think the
difference between only the two main dialects in Libya resemble more than the
size of the differences between for example the American and British English in
terms of pronunciation, lexicon and even the grammar sometimes. Every time
you go towards the west of the Arab world, the Easterners don't understand
more, until they totally don't understand the main meaning of the speech ,and
the standard Arabic becomes extremely needed) The standard Arabic today is
much simpler in terms of the size of the used lexicon with a semantic shift with
noticed narrowing, though many grammatical difficulties in the language remain.
Recently, I have found a research that further suggests the change towards
simplicity in the widely spoken languages in the world, it was a statistical
analysis of some 2000 languages in a very interesting topic which is the simpler
inflectional morphology in the languages spoken by larger numbers of speakers.
The simplicity of the standard Arabic is also suggested by the fact that the
Arabic dialect are somehow simpler in the grammar than the simplified version of
modern Arabic.

Now, after the appearance of the Internet forums and social websites, people
want to write to their friends (the old paper mail was formal and the standard
Arabic was used) Now they want to chat alive and write as if they are speaking
the everyday language ,so the dialects started to be written widely for the first
time in Libya (Some people in Egypt started writing their dialect many years
ago through magazines and newspapers) ,and I have noticed a unprecedented
apparent stagnation in the expansion (and absence of the previous even-slow
rhythm of changes and renewal ) of the dialect itself with its own natural way
of development which was driven by many sources including the social
development , coinage ,and mainly the heavy influences of the slang of youths
on the dialect (,because the society has an expansive population pyramid) ,but
now the slang started to have a much lower effect during the last few years.
(maybe due to writing and the stop of the quick changes in the slang words)
(And without forgetting to mention the many missed words reported by old
people) In addition, people who speak Tamazight who ,as I have made sure
myself, used to make the Libyans remember some of the old words in the
Libyan dialect that are common with their language ,and also they introduced
some words, are now facing the influences of Arabic and the Libyan dialect
itself, and they are already facing a cultural drift. If every minority is
marginalized or not recognized in some cases, it will have to face a strong
conformist bias while living among the bigger population. In fact everybody is
going to face a conformist bias if we considered a global population which is
enriched by the spread of a very powerful national world language. With the
polarization of global ideas, anything else will be a minority. After the
disappearance of most languages, I think that the definition of "minorities" will
focus more on anyone who believes in what the majority don't believe in.

The standard Arabic continues to drag the dialect towards it. And as I have
said the dialect which has no recognized status and without any means of
teaching or studying even through books (Maltese helped me to know some
more deeper things about my dialect which has a very different grammar than
the standard) the dialect even stopped using many old terms due to the
influences of the heavily taught modern standard Arabic. (Ironically, some of
the old Libyan terms have very strong and obvious roots in the classic Arabic
which was by far a much richer language than the Standard Arabic today
specially in poetry ,and it was aimed to approach the modern Arabic to the
classic) But again there is something really interesting that appeared recently
and maybe will preserve the dialect which is the appearance of the Internet
which preserves the written speeches and also the appearance of the TV
comedy plays which are the main source of the spread of the slang words and
these plays in the Arab world are repeated over the years like in Egypt ,and
you can ask any Arab about this and the answer will be that one of the main
reasons that the Egyptian dialect is widely understood in the Arab world is
because of the Comedy plays and the media. Libyans in general love humor
,personally I like to hear some jokes ,but I don't tell them frequently. BACK to
the discussion :) ,So the appearance of the Libyan media and the interesting
Text messaging which contains some of the Libyan traditional poetry which of
course can be magnificently beautiful was helpful.

I have talked about my dialect which is not endangered only as a very similar
example to the really endangered languages. In our case we have the source
language which is Arabic a plan B (or even A ,because it is preferred to be the
mother tongue through out the Arab world). But most of the languages facing
the dangers of extinction are spoken by a very small number of speakers and
there is no plan B ,and the truth, these mother tongue languages exist as the
only mother tongue for their people.

Another interesting point I have noticed is that the younger generations are
becoming more prepared to use the standard Arabic. The old generations didn't
have the cartoons ,so the mother tongue in their brains was in fact the dialect.
When we went to the school in the first year to learn the Standard Arabic, we
started to learn very simple words like ( to go ) (egg) (vegetables) which are
totally different than the dialect. Even the words with resemblances had some
actual differences like (dar) which means in the dialect 'a room' while in the
school's standard Arabic it means 'a house'. You need to teach the kids
something like a new language. But now the kids watch the cartoons nearly all
the day ,and I get surprised by the young children when they use some modern
standard Arabic words while they are thinking they are using the dialect words.
They grow up and start to distinguish between the dialect and the standard
language ,but the important thing is that the Modern standard language
became implanted in their brains as a mother tongue. And they are more
comfortable using it when it's needed. That is the beginning of a real change.

So, it's about the convenient language or which you are comfortable to use
with your native friends. In our case, it's the dialect. And similarly should be
the convenient IAL which should provide the greatest facility to the greatest
number. (In my simple words, I understand otto jespersons words as comfort
(like comfortable about the easiness or about speaking it. Comfortable about
the IAL being your language or about its costs. And comfortable about the
results, benifits and the convienience in general including being comfortable this
IAL will not cause extinction nor damage to the mother tongue your brain is
using to understand other languages.)

The only thing that we are sure about, is that the IAL of anytime and in any
place is a comunications tool that at least provides some facility to some
people.

Nothing new, except that we can fight about improving the word facility with a
simple word like comfort....something have changed though. :-)

Zein.