AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

Monospaced Font

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  July 2010, Week 2

AUXLANG July 2010, Week 2

Re: Ido, Novial, and my own thoughts on IALs

Zeinelabidin Elhassi <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 11 Jul 2010 20:26:05 -0400

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 03:58:15 -0700, James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Jens scrit:
>
>>That seems way out there to me. GM crops may (or may not) harm
ourhealth, so whether or not they are dangerous (I'm not particularlyconvinced
they are) is really an important question.

>Not too far out there. Artificial languages could interact with natural
languages in the "environment", just as GM genes could interact with natural
genes. It's even possible for an artificial language to squeeze out a natural
language, which many people would view as a catastrophe and we would be
accused of playing God.

>Some food for though (GM food of course).

Companies can produce GM corps that are incapable of reproduction. Some
companies are producing similar corps so the farmers come back and buy the
seeds again. In conlangs the reason of this is not selling our languages more
,but actually it's the opposite.

When we prevent the appearance of native speakers in the artificial language
we are lowering the consumption of our conlangs. The world, in which the
planned Auxlang has the smallest number of native speakers, is the one in
which the natural languages are enjoying the highest numbers of mother
tongue speakers.

As I have said, this idea is not a non-removable part of the argument. It's a
suggestion. And some other auxlang supporters should at least think about it.
It doesn't mean that they have to take a decision ,but just be aware of some
possibilities. The language, I am suggesting would depend more on what the
world is writing or producing in this world language.

A conlang spoken by 100,000 speakers has 2,000 native speakers
If the conlang became a world language that is spoken by at least
2,500,000,000 person , this would mean it would have at least 50,000,000
million native speakers. This is definitely the appearance of a new group (either
with culture or not. "the old debate")

And because the attitude of the conlang towards the national languages is not
favorable. It's possible that some people will attempt to end the use of this
artificial language as a world language ,because it's threatening their natural
languages by taking millions of native speaker from them in a sudden spread like
a new fashion. I fear the appearance of an argument about the benefits and
risks of the world language that has been created in this way.

I hope it's just a false theory ,but we are already having these rates in some
conlangs ,and if they became the world language it could mean that the
numbers of native speakers of these conlangs will increase more than the
current rates.

It's possible that people in some nations are going to switch mother tongue
faster than the others ,so we are going to ask new questions about the
neutrality of the conlang. It became a widely accepted mother tongue in some
nations ,while in other nations (mostly the nations which have a very different
language than the conlang) will not accept it. And we will go back to the very
first point, Is the world language 'the conlang' neutral ? Is it fair ?
It gives an advantage to some people ,and everything will go back to the
beginning. Why Zamenhof invented Esperanto?

If the conlang does not have any positive attitude towards the natural
languages, it's possible that its native speakers are going to refuse learning
natural languages for many reasons after the conlang becomes the world
language, and some of them might say that there is no need to learn the
natural languages, or they become less interested in learning natlangs, or they
feel that they are in a competition with natural languages which can compete
with their conlang which is something I can see from now with evidences in
these communities in general ,so it's possible that they will stop learning
natlangs or maybe some would claim that a superiority exist in favor of the
conlang.

The conlang must be of a nature that support the existence of the natural
languages. This will help all types of its speakers to help the natlangs.

In general a conlang community would always work for expanding the numbers
of native speakers which is a behaviour very similar to the religious groups,
which we don't want to see in our campaign to protect all the natural
languages specially if that group doesn't really care about the existence of the
natural languages.

On the other hand ,it's possible that more non-speakers of the conlang are
going to discourage the teaching of the conlang ,because of its threats and
attitudes. Again the purpose of the IAL movement is to encourage the world to
use the IAL.

Native speakers of an auxlang are definitely great people ,no question about
that. It's very nice to see a community that believes in unity of the world ,but
it's not nice to risk losing the neutral and easy means of communications if the
conlang doesn't support diversity. Or at least it will need a lot of work to
convince the world to adopt it in the presence of these risks that increase with
time. That is the reality, some conlangs not just need work to teach them to
the world or to switch to them ,but also to spread them as a widely accepted
world language.

These questions are to the people responsible of the important conlangs. I
hope this point will be seen positively in order to eliminate the supposed
disadvantages.