Monospaced Font

CONLANG  August 2010, Week 4

CONLANG August 2010, Week 4

Re: Place that you'd most like to live & reasons

David Peterson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Aug 2010 14:10:41 -0700

On Aug 27, 2010, at 7◊58 AM, David Edwards wrote:

> A male ua pale ei i Finilanatia.
> PRES.SG will maybe home I ACC Finland

Here, /pale/ means "to reside at". I was thinking of using some version of
"Suomi" for Finland, but I wasn't happy with either Tuomi or Huomi... And
also, the /male ua/ construction serves as a kind of conditional or hypothetical.

> Au neo upea ie Eulo pe, a amo i ape po...eleumi.
> PRES.PL use they to (Europe?) there, PRES.SG it ACC one REL...(sky-some?).

It might've helped if you'd guessed that Eulo was "Euro". In other words,
they use the Euro there (which I see as a plus). The second is a bit hard
to figure out: And it's number one (or first) in...everything. Here, "in" is translated
with "po", which *can* be a relative marker, but is also just a regular preposition
that means "with respect to", among other things.

> Mata ia i iko hita:
> see you ACC this (article?)

"Site". Could've been "tita", I guess, but I was feeling "hita" at the moment...

> I might move to Finland. (Not sure about the second sentence.) Check out
> this article.

Don't forget the bit about the music at the end! I'm a big fan of Finnish metal.

> Ha, that was fun! I tried to gloss as much as I could using only the corpus
> materials--I was able to peg everything except "neo," "ape," and "umi." I
> thought "a" might be indicating present tense, and "au" might be indicating
> a plural, but I hadn't figured out yet that they were both indicating tense
> _and_ number. Could I get a hint on sentence #2?

It looks like you found /neo/ somewhere (the glossary?). Funny, the closest
you get at the Word of the Day is /neoe/, which means "to kill" (not quite the
same!). That usage of "ape" is a bit colloquial... I'll add a sentence with it to
the corpus so it'll be somewhere visible. /Eleumi/ means "everything", and I
don't think you can figure that out by the sum of its parts ("sky" + "some").

And regarding /a/ and /au/, they indicate tense, number of the subject and the
subject's status. That's why, most of the time, you don't need conjunctions in
Kamakawi: they're implied.

> More info: http://feayran.webs.com/refgrammar

Forgive me if I totally just cut out your response, but I just came across
something astounding on your site. Everyone, check this out!

http://feayran.webs.com/lexicon.html

I know a lot of people here use Excel or some equivalent for their
dictionary. Evidently if you use Google docs, you can incorporate
it right into your website! Amazing!

Incidentally, did I read right? You prefer Alaska to Colorado?
I gape at you...

-David

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.com/