CONLANG  October 2010, Week 2

CONLANG October 2010, Week 2

The Trouble with Wizards

Peter Bleackley <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Oct 2010 10:01:34 +0100

Googling for the name of my language, I found the following in the
archives of the romconlang list, posted by Mark J. Reed

> Re: [romconlang] coelestial
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:03:31PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>> Star Trek episode: For the world is koilos, and I have touched the
>> caelum!
>
> Now there's an interesting source of translation fodder. Project:
> translate all 79 episode titles from the original Star Trek series into
> your conlang. ("What's Khangaþyagon for 'tribble', anyway?")
>
> Random memory vignette: "For the World is Hollow, and I Have Touched the
> Sky" was where I learned the word "simultaneously". I was watching it
> as a young child (I don't recall exactly how young, and it was in
> syndication so the airdate is no help; I'm not old enough to have
> watched the original run). McCoy was explaining to Kirk that in order
> to get a secret door to open one had to press three stars on a starchart
> "simultaneously", so I ran into the kitchen and asked Mom what that
> meant.
>
> -Marcos

I wonder why Mark thought of Khangaþyagon in this context. Being a
fantasy language spoken in a conworld, nobody who speaks Khangaþyagon
would ever have heard of "Star Trek".

Pete