CONLANG  October 2010, Week 2

CONLANG October 2010, Week 2

Re: non-lexical tones

Anthony Miles <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:09:00 -0400

In Mandarin Chinese, mai3~mai4 are a pair meaning "buy" and "sell", so I
suppose that distinction could percolate through a conlang. But I guess that
would be lexical tone, unless you treat pairs such as buy and sell as two sides
of an active-passive system.

If you want to hear what Ancient Greek, complete with pitch-accent system,
look up Stephen Daitz. He's made several recordings using reconstructed
phonology. Warning: it does _not_ sound like the dialogue of Socrates in my
head when I read a dialogue

Na'gifi Fasu'xa has a pitch-accent system.
I am ashamed to admit that