CONLANG  October 2010, Week 4

CONLANG October 2010, Week 4

Re: LLL idea

kechpaja <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:26:09 -0400

On Oct 22, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Eugene Oh wrote:

> 2010/10/22 And Rosta <[log in to unmask]>
>

>> IMO English 'sp,st,sk' clusters are actually /sb,sd,sg/, so if the /s/ were
>> lost, you'd end up with /b,d,g/. I don't know enough about Romance to know
>> if that analysis cd make sense for Romance too, tho.

I don't think it would. This analysis is based on the primary contrastive feature of English "voiced/unvoiced" stops being aspiration rather than actual voice, and thus, since in the aforementioned clusters the stop component is unaspirated, it can be analyzed as "voiced". However, Romance language stops tend to contrast primarily voicing, with unvoiced stops being unaspirated.