Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  December 2010, Week 2

AUXLANG December 2010, Week 2

Re: Esperanto/Mondlango continuance, change, and acceptance

Stephen Rice <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:02:36 -0700

On 12/13/10, Lang Newb <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  I've been a bit surprised that every language that I've seen
> so far has focused on being just one thing, easy or complex or finding that
> still sortof inadequate middle position. I'm not sure why auxlangs weren't
> developed with various language levels in mind, given we encounter such
> levels every day on the street with simple queries, at work with more
> complex thoughts, and in art where a language must be nuanced to capture the
> intended expression. The key to a 3-tier design is to separate the tiers
> where a lower tier is a subset of a higher tier. Further, each tier must be
> given its own verbal reference so that policy documents can use that
> reference to identify which subset is appropriate to the given environment.
> I'll expand on that sort of idea in a separate post, I'm interested to know
> what people think of that concept but I need to explain it better.

I tried something like that with an a-priori project called Pesu. It's
harder to do than you may think. It might work better to have simply
basic and advanced versions.

> I've been reading about Occidental and it seems pretty good. It feels a lot
> like I'm reading French (I get a bit of the same sense with Ido). I'm
> wondering if it was very important in the early part of the 20th century for
> an auxlang to serve the French and Italian communities with paricular care,
> or if the words I hear that I associate with French are part of other
> languages and I've only heard French. Or perhaps the vowel-heavy words were
> meant to serve clarity and ease in the face of varied linguistic
> backgrounds. It seemed to me that the grammar rules of Occidental were
> extended a bit beyond the bare necessesity to make things look a little more
> natural. I found it a mild challenge to track down and understand the
> grammar, and because I still have trouble remembering the difference between
> a participle and a preposition the lack of example text made for a slight
> hill climb. I've since found a link to more Occidental-centric info, so I'll
> peruse that.

Occidental has a very natural feel to me--just messed-up enough to be
believable. It does have some grammatical elements an English-speaker
will find confusing and unnecessary, but they aren't impossible to
learn.

> I had a look at those, and at your Sambahsa also. From reading the forward
> on Sambahsa it looks to be the Formula One of natural-looking constructed
> languages (and it sounds good in the YouTube videos). That's beyond my
> present ability but I hope it gains an active user base.

I hope eventually to produce a textbook for it, but that's a way off yet.

> -Lojban/Loglan were dead to me after Arika Okrent's description of "600
> pages of grammar". I can't imagine practical use for something so
> exhaustively exact, so I resolve to ignore it henceforth.

That can't be right. Perhaps it depends on what she calls "grammar."
Still, they aren't suitable as auxlangs.

> -Interlingua:
I ranted at myself for 15 minutes
> the other day incredulous at the thought of 14 years of work resulting in a
> language that wasn't meant to be spoken, presided over by a man who didn't
> even believe in the concept of an auxlang as I know it.

That's not quite true, and as Paul has said, Interlingua is spoken and
viable. The British Interlingua magazine used to run dialogs--the kind
off things you would say in a shop, for example. That seems like
spoken use to me.

> The societal view certainly carries weight. After discovering Esperanto I
> mentioned it excitedly to my siblings (having complained to them about
> English for so long) and they responded with "Isn't that a made-up language,
> like Klingon? People gathering in little groups like a chess club?" Everyone
> knows about Klingon, nobody knows about an active 120 year old constructed
> language. Maybe society need another TV show to present a serious auxlang to
> pique public interest in what they're actually supposed to accomplish.

That's what I call the Auxlang Epiphany. It should be the shared goal
of all auxlangers, and I try to hasten it.

>> Technically, Mondlango is a modification of Ido more than Esperanto,
>> though I doubt proponents would admit that.
>
> I've got nothing against Ido except for a lack of combinations like the
> correllatives and Mondlango brings those correllatives back. I like them for
> the pattern they create but I don't have practical use to back up my view.

It was an objective statement. I have a degree in Linguistics (I tend
toward Historical and Comparative), and I like to know where a
language comes from. The reason Mondlangers wouldn't admit the Idoish
nature of their project is that they want to portray it as a minor
tweak of Eo that even Zamenhof would have supported. It isn't, and he
wouldn't.

> I'm puzzled why Ci has a double use in Esperanto. Like he ran out of sounds?
> He certainly didn't run out of letters.

I don't understand this. "Ci" is an archaic pronoun equivalent to Eng
"thou"; it has no other uses. "Ĉi" is a particle that expresses
proximity; it has no other uses either.

> The idea of camps is a problem for me. I don't like that proponents of a
> language are called ists and painted with a brush that implies they're
> expected to be irrationally defensive, offensive and protecting of their
> ideology. Whether a language is a derrivative of Thisish or Thatish is only
> meaningful to the barking dogs. Its pedigree is useful info only if it
> informs the unfamiliar of the language's general character.

It's useful from a comparative standpoint. Eo and Ido are
superficially similar, but they are extremely different beneath the
surface, rather like written Chinese and Japanese, which, before they
simplified in different directions, were somewhat mutually
intelligible despite the languages proper being extremely different.
Mondlango is like Ido, not Eo--indeed, hardly any of the "eoclones"
are really like Eo, though my own Noveo project is.

>> 1. Eliminate the accented letters. This would reduce mnemonicity in many
> cases.
>
> I'm ok with reduced mnemonicity.

It reduces it so far that going for an entirely different root would
be better. In some cases that would create problems of its own.
Consider Ido just- and yust-, for example. They really should find
another form for one of the concepts, because yust- is problematic.

It'd feel more irritating to work around a
> diacritic system when typing, or reading statements from others such as
> "It's easy to find the font you need." I don't want to have to modify my
> computer to type a constructed language, basic ascii characters should be
> good enough.

Actually, it's already there on most systems these days. (Really--it's
called Unicode.) If you use abcTajpu on Firefox, you can get all sorts
of accented characters without much effort.

The "h" convention is the least troublesome method and I could
> live with that if I learned Esperanto. The added h distinguishes words a
> bit, and probably adds to mnemonicity to some degree.

I used to use x myself, but anymore I just stick with Unicode.

The reason for accenting is that it allows overloading. For example,
Eo ĝardeno is "garden" in English, "Garten" in German, "giardino" in
Italian (pronounced almost exactly as the Eo, only with in for en),
and "jardin" in French. We want to keep the letter g, even though it
is pronounced differently in Italian, and it would be useful if we
could find a tie-in for the French as well. So we invent a special g,
with the Italian pronunciation--which is also close enough to the
French j to be easily learned by a francophone. "Ghardeno" doesn't
work nearly as well.

> I don't like the context-only
> languages so much because of the extra care needed. But since English relies
> a lot on context, at least I understand the added workload.

I used to favor high-context languages, but in real-life auxlang
situations, they're likely to lead to misunderstanding and confusion.

>> 4. Form plurals with -s instead of -j. This would require other
>> changes in endings for verbs and the accusative. Technically possible,
>> but rather jarring.
>
> That's the problem with his choice of letters, it seems all related to
> avoiding confusion in European speakers. Change one thing, you end up
> getting weirdness. Like using u^ instead of w because of German.

It also has to do with stacking morphemes: if the accusative is -n and
the plural -s, what's the accusative plural? Mi legas la librons?

> I've seen some people put forth an argument that once you begin to
> change a language it dies "the death of 1000 fixes" but why such an extreme?
> Why can't the auxlang community recommend a revived language undergo no more
> than 3 or 5 changes, a number set from the beginning before even identifying
> change number 1? And why not a timeframe? "A change happens in 2 months or
> not at all." People have no difficulty setting limits on their activities or
> their children's activities ("Ok, you can read for 15 more minutes and then
> go to sleep.") and yet the auxlang community cries doom when one suggestion
> is made.

But 15 minutes later you get a demand for another extension. It
shouldn't happen, perhaps, but it does. In the same way, other
arbitrary limits set you up for arbitrary challenges.

 I'm sure it's because they've seen good languages get buried with
> perfectionism and the endless debate. I believe that a set number of fixes
> in a set timeframe would help a language be more attractive to later
> newcomers, and might gain a larger audience more quickly.

Or might not. People who insist on changing some item or other are
usually more interested in tinkering or getting their own way than in
using the language. It's worth weeding them out early on.

> As for perfectionism and the endless debate, cars, airplanes, airports,
> public transport, traffic signals, hospitals and police forces would not
> exist if perfection was the all-or-nothing proposition. I think Paul says it
> well in his essay that a language needs to be good enough and
> enthusiastically supported without endless tweaking, but I feel some initial
> changes can occur (such as furnishing a pronoun for he, she, neuter,
> unspecified, and he-or-unspecified) to make the language flexible and
> attractive.

They can occur in the project stage, but not once you're dealing with
an actual language. And sometimes conceptions of improvement or
perfection clash: one man's trash is another man's treasure. It's
better to cultivate the habit of going along to get along where
possible.

> Right now I'm on the fence about supporting Mondlango, Ido, Novial, Idiom
> Neutral and Esperanto. Initially my first choice was Novial, because Otto
> designed it and took extreme care in doing so. The turn-off for me was it
> sounded a little goofy, but I'm now starting to appreciate the ease of
> pronunciation. His desire for a 'sonorous' sound resulted in an excessive
> payload of vowels. But that's not a good reason to avoid a language, it
> seems a fine effort. I only moved on so I could review other languages this
> week.

Case in point: I really like Novial. Would I tweak it? Of course! Just
last week I thought of a way to streamline its derivational system.
But Novial is more project than language just now, so I might get away
with it.

>> Yes, (con)IALs have often not been taken seriously as "real" languages,
>> even though some of them have become real, living languages.  For
>> example, there are professional linguists who do not consider them
>> "real" languages, considering them "fake" languages.  (There are a few
>> exceptions.)
>
> It angers me to know there are only a few exceptions. I ranted to myself at
> length recently about this. The three groups of people who should be in
> lockstep with the view on auxlangs are translators, linguists, and those who
> create the languages. How can a professional linguist, the one who knows all
> about language, write off a constructed language as not having the depth to
> express what must be expressed? They somehow think it's meant to replace a
> mother tongue. Well by the time it got to that stage it'd have morphed like
> a natural language to be capable of doing just that. But it's not *supposed*
> to replace a mother tongue. How can they not get this simple point? It took
> me 10 seconds to 'get it'.

We auxlangers do ourselves a disservice by calling projects languages.
A project may become a language, but it isn't one initially. English
is not found in any book but in the minds of its speakers, and the
same is true of Eo and other actual languages. A real language will
tend to have a culture, and that takes longer to generate. Tolkien
initially liked Eo but decided against it because a language shuold
derive from a mythology. (He didn't know much about Eo: the Ido Schism
alone could easily be made into a Wagnerian opera starring de
Beaufront as the Fat Lady.)

Currently only Eo has the track record to be taken seriously by
linguists, though Ia, Occ, and probably Ido could make fairly strong
arguments. But it still wouldn't be easy. (This is why Gode and
company insisted that Ia wasn't constructed but "discovered": it was a
living language lurking within various other languages, because you
can't construct a "real" language.)

> I'm in favor of an English-biased
> vocabulary to give people an incentive for learning it, so that they'll have
> something very useful to carry forward into ESL studies if they choose to do
> that.

Cue evil laugh and shameless plug:

You're talking about something like Inlis here. Inlis bi laik da
English kriol, isi av tokin plas isi av lanin. Yu bi ebal du andastan
it witaut lanin, plas it bi isi av tokin (pronaunsin) kompea English.

> I understand. I feel that any language that wants to stand up to English
> must possess 2 characteristics:
> 1) It must make English vocabulary (and perhaps grammar) easier to recognize
> for those who may want to later learn English as a second language, that is,
> it must bill itself as both a useful tool and a stepping stone. If it's
> nominally SVO that brings basic English grammar one step closer.

Again, Inlis works this way. Although the grammar isn't English, it
usually looks like English and is at-sight for English-speakers. The
vocabulary is based on speech, not written forms, using an artificial
generic pronunciation meant to be intelligible to most people.

> 2) It must be designed with 3 generalized target groups in mind, each with a
> suitable level of difficulty wherein each lower level is a subset of the
> next higher level. 1=basic, 2=science/business, 3=art/literature

I'm not sure the nesting can work quite that way. Some features could,
perhaps, such as free word order, but even then the first two levels
could have fairly strict order. And the levels would soon become mixed
in actual use.

> This is very true. I mentioned earlier in this post that in marketing the
> language, it might be helpful on a local level to provide people with some
> real tangible benefit as an excuse to learn even a sentence or two. The idea
> of a business owner giving a deal to people who order in the language,
> however simply, or a public festival having a show you can attend only by
> speaking the correct passphrase at the door are both ideas where the public
> gains an actual benefit, and it opens an opportunity for people to get
> involved (and receive a nice pamphlet). Naturally neither one of those two
> scenarios would be designed to be exclusionary, it'd be intended to invite
> people to pretty much read the phrase they're given to win the 'prize'.

In a story I've mentioned here before, _The Babel Bet_, a world-class
con-man bets that he can trick the world (or a lot of it, anyway) into
speaking an auxlang. He says earlier attempts were too virtuous, so he
will use vice and deceit. Among other things, he has several
auxlang-only Web sites, some of them pornographic: if you use the
auxlang, they're free; otherwise you can't buy your way in. When a
friend protests, he says "Hormones are a marvelous motivator. If
educators had more sense and fewer scruples, they could teach
teenagers tensor calculus in a week."

> I had a look at Neo Patwa and I like the way you put that together. The
> pidgin concept is very valuable. In a three-tier language, the most basic
> level would include a pidgin grammar so people could communicate basic
> ideas, carrying only a wallet-sized card for guidance. Heck, I bet a pidgin
> could even be subject to a smartphone application since the grammar is
> probably easy to parse. It would rely on a basic understanding of the
> grammar, and a reasonably capable voice recognition system to speak the
> translated pidgin.

No. Remember Loglan/Lojban? Their grammar is easy for a computer to
parse. A "simple" human grammar will actually be more difficult. (This
is related to the "high-context" business.)

> I never really expect the global IAL idea to include 100% of the
> population, but just the maximum percentage of people who definitely need to
> learn another language, plus the number of people who might learn it as
> mandatory in school or as an introduction to learning a foreign language.

That's a good distinction. The number of people who will have any
reason to learn an auxlang will not be that great compared to the
global population, despite hyp about globalism.

>> Then think about the supply side: Natlang courses are offered in almost
>> every school and other educational institute in the world. Only a handful
>> of them offer also auxlang courses.
>
> Yes but I'd like to see that change from the inside out *and* from the
> outside in...the adult population creating the demand for auxlang courses
> while the powers that be introduce the same auxlang to children in school.
> If the auxlang was a good stepping stone toward English, then that would
> create a demand for learning, if the language was also useful in its own
> right.

You would think so, but it's a proven fact that learning Eo as a first
foreign language helps people learn some other language, such as
French, faster. That should spur courses in Eo as preparation for
learning other languages, but it doesn't happen.

> To an outsider like me, the unifying ideaology should be "Pick the best one
> in the lot that serves science and literature, add room for a pidgin, make
> no more than 3 additional changes, publish in exactly 1 year from project
> start, lock that sucker down allowing only vocabulary additions for 10 years
> minimum.

Different people have different needs. Eo works well for some, Ido for
others. I doubt we'll get "one size fits all" or at least all agree on
a solution. That's why I expect a multiple-auxlang solution with
perhaps 3-5 auxlangs in common use.

Steve