Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  December 2010, Week 2

AUXLANG December 2010, Week 2

Re: Esperanto/Mondlango continuance, change, and acceptance

MacLeod Dave <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:24:10 +0900

Wow, that was a long post. I'll reply to the Idiom Neutral part:

>> Think about the difficulty of reforming
>> English spelling. People have tried it for years with little result.
>> Even a minor tweak, such as making the accusative optional, would
>> provoke strong opposition.
>
> Yep, I think such changes are only possible in languages with a very low
> user base, such as Idiom Neutral.
>
>> There are a lot of auxlangs out there; find one you're comfortable
>> with and promote it. In the case of at-sight auxlangs such as
>> Occidental, you can even slightly tweak an existing one without losing
>> intelligibility.
>
> There really are a lot. I've been following Dave's revival of Idiom Neutral
> and trying to wrap my head around the practical differences between
> Occidental, Novial, and Idiom Neutral. Certainly Idiom Neutral has a very
> different sound, but one that seems ok when one attempts pronunciation as
> though one were an Italian speaking Latin. And I like the grammar book from
> 1903. I particularly want Dave to pick 3 grammar points he wants to fix and
> fix them. I've seen some people put forth an argument that once you begin to
> change a language it dies "the death of 1000 fixes" but why such an extreme?
> Why can't the auxlang community recommend a revived language undergo no more
> than 3 or 5 changes, a number set from the beginning before even identifying
> change number 1? And why not a timeframe? "A change happens in 2 months or
> not at all." People have no difficulty setting limits on their activities or
> their children's activities ("Ok, you can read for 15 more minutes and then
> go to sleep.") and yet the auxlang community cries doom when one suggestion
> is made. I'm sure it's because they've seen good languages get buried with
> perfectionism and the endless debate. I believe that a set number of fixes
> in a set timeframe would help a language be more attractive to later
> newcomers, and might gain a larger audience more quickly.

I agree about small fixes. Ido is a good example of a language that
carried out a number of fixes, maybe even too many, but then managed
to stop when enough was enough and has hardly changed at all since
then. The best way to solidify a language at a certain point is to
simply write a ton of content in it so that anyone encountering the
language will see everything you've written most of the time.

The reason I haven't done any tweaking to IN is that daily life has
taken precedence, and so the only contribution I'm doing to auxlanging
at the moment is putting old issues of Cosmoglotta together (and
making some flash cards for Sambahsa) because that's pretty easy to do
when you have just a few minutes. IN is by far the easiest language
for the non-Western world, and I have a much easier time explaining it
than Occidental. On the other hand, Occidental is just really
comfortable and easy to read for anyone familiar with one of its
source languages. I would recommend going with Occidental right now,
unless

unless!

some three or four or five people are interested in tweaking IN
together. I could probably put in enough time for that. It would be
one of those projects where you allocate a certain number of months to
look at it, and then pledge to leave it stable for two or three or so
years after it's done to avoid any further tinkering. As I wrote on
Page F30 yesterday some of the tweaks would be:

- Not requiring adjectives to come after the noun. Looks good in
practice but when you start translating content it turns out to be a
bother. Even simple greetings usually have adjectives (good day, good
night) and putting the adjective after is awkward, and IN avoids this
numerous times in the dictionary by simply joining two words together
with a hyphen, so there are tons of examples of adjectives coming
before the noun anyway.

- Germanic (and also Finnish, Turkic, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, etc.
etc.) genitive in addition to the Romance 'de'. It should probably be
a suffix, kind of like the Afrikaans 'se'.

- Gender-neutral pronoun for he/she. Not for PC reasons but because it
makes translating from Finnish/Turkish/etc. that much easier. Even
English too where the awkward 'he or she' is used all the time, or the
now somewhat archaic sounding 'one'.

I don't think any of the homonyms need tweaking. I actually kind of
like languages that have a few of them. I especially like how words
like astronom (astronomer) become astronomi, which either
'astronomers' or 'astronomy' since astronomy really is just the result
of astronomers coming together.

>> Yes, (con)IALs have often not been taken seriously as "real" languages,
>> even though some of them have become real, living languages.  For
>> example, there are professional linguists who do not consider them
>> "real" languages, considering them "fake" languages.  (There are a few
>> exceptions.)
>
> It angers me to know there are only a few exceptions. I ranted to myself at
> length recently about this. The three groups of people who should be in
> lockstep with the view on auxlangs are translators, linguists, and those who
> create the languages. How can a professional linguist, the one who knows all
> about language, write off a constructed language as not having the depth to
> express what must be expressed? They somehow think it's meant to replace a
> mother tongue. Well by the time it got to that stage it'd have morphed like
> a natural language to be capable of doing just that. But it's not *supposed*
> to replace a mother tongue. How can they not get this simple point? It took
> me 10 seconds to 'get it'.

It's quite baffling why they don't get it. An easy second language for
the world could be learned by anyone in their own country so there
would be no danger to one's mother tongue whatsoever. Compare that to
English or any other language that takes years of living abroad to
fully master.

>> For all its faults (and I consider that is has them), E-o is
>> considerably more regular and easier to learn and use than many/most
>> natural languages, including English for non-native learners/speakers.
>
> I've been practicing the basic words. It's sinking in, slowly. But I'm
> probably switching to a different auxlang to learn first instead. I can't
> decided which one, but Idiom Neutral has caught my attention with Dave's
> determination to focus on that one language. Novial keeps calling my name,
> Ido stands quietly, staring a hole in me, and Mondlango looks up at me like
> a bright-eyed child, begging for handouts in the street.

That looks just like something Robert Winter would have written a few
months ago, even up to the personification of auxlang candidates.

Anyway, in the meantime (until I somehow find a way to give IN a good
look-over and a few tweaks) I would recommend either Occidental or
Ido. If you can work your way through it I would recommend reading the
Kompleta Gramatiko Detaloza since that's where all your questions
about Ido in real usage will be answered.

One BIG plus for Ido is that the world's Esperantists already
understand a good deal of it, and Ido is actually the only IAL out
there that is based on the premise that Esperanto is *almost* good
enough. The two sides don't seem to dislike each other much anymore
from what I can tell, and if one day Ido acquired a few hundred
thousand speakers there would be a huge number of Esperantists that
would certainly begin using it just for fun. Many Esperantists write
that they have no problem with Ido, they just don't find many places
to use it and so Esperanto is their preferred option as a language you
can actually use to do things. So Ido is the only one that is closely
related to a language spoken by a group of people that are already
good and sold on the idea of an IAL, and we all know that's the
biggest hurdle of all.

And for Occidental I would recommend reading here:

http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/anno-plus?aid=e0g

It starts out when the language is still in flux, so maybe start
reading from about 1935 or so. I haven't gotten through reading them
all myself so I'm not sure if that's the best date...maybe to be sure
you could start reading the five years from 1946.

--
http://www.pagef30.com