Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  January 2011, Week 1

AUXLANG January 2011, Week 1

Re: AUXLANG Digest - 12 Dec 2010 to 13 Dec 2010 (#2010-217)

Geoffrey King <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 2 Jan 2011 15:47:26 +0000

On 14/12/2010 11:30, Jerry Muelver wrote:
> Lang Newb said:
>
> �Hey, just imagine if JUSTIN BIEBER promoted an
> auxlang that he could use to communicate with fans. You want 10 million
> followers of Ido? Get Justin Bieber speaking Ido. Then you will have 10
> million teenage girls speaking Ido, and loving it because their
> parents have
> no idea what they're saying. Then their parents will HAVE to learn it to
> understand what their kids are writing to each other, and talking about on
> the phone. Because parents need to know.
> ---------
>
> Brilliant! I've been trying to come up with a compelling economic
> motivator for promoting Ido, but I never thought of a possible
> celebrity hook. I guess that comes with not having a TV, and nurturing
> a dedicatedly curmudgeon view of pop culture. I'll have to think less
> on the "What", and more on the "how". Might have to release a hip-hop
> album.....
>
> ---- Jerry Muelver
A decade or more ago there were rumours of Michael Jackson doing
something related to Esperanto. Apparently there was some small
percentage of truth in it, but it seems only Esperantists ever heard
about it, and even we didn't have a very clear idea of what it was. So
if any celebrities get involved we'll have to do a better job on the
publicity (internal and external) than previously. And perhaps look for
celebrities with a less controversial reputation!

Geoffrey King

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======