CONLANG  January 2011, Week 3

CONLANG January 2011, Week 3

Re: English with your conlang's accent?

Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Jan 2011 16:18:35 -0800

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Garth Wallace <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Dale McCreery <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> laaicwaamipoleeht speakers would have a fairly interesting English accent.
>>  Their over-use of determiners, their disregard for gender, the more
>> leveled weight of syllables and the use of high/low tones for accents.  I
>> suspect that their productions of voiced and unvoiced consonants would be
>> pretty strange, possibly even leading to a few initial /i/s where they
>> wouldn't be expected otherwise.  More than phonology and basic syntax
>> however would be their annoying habit of using stories about cars to
>> explain absolutely everything in life, and the fact that they would never
>> give a straight answer without first referring to one story or another.
>
> Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra? ;)

The problem I've always had with that episode was that in order for
children to learn what Dramok and Jalad means they would need to hear
the story, but how would they hear the story without some other,
non-allegorical way of telling the story? So their language must have
also had a straight narrative mode.

--gary