CONLANG  January 2011, Week 3

CONLANG January 2011, Week 3

Re: Tubenian, newborn language.

Samuel Stutter <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Jan 2011 23:34:55 +0000

On 18 Jan 2011, at 22:33, Jörg Rhiemeier wrote:

> Hallo!
>
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 22:38:48 +0100, Lars Finsen wrote:
>
>> The current relay helped me give birth to Tubenian over the last
>> weekend. I created it on the basis of Starostin's published Eurasian
>> roots and a phonological analysis of the names in the Tubenian king
>> list from my childhood, which gives a phoneme inventory of /a e i o u
>> y j l m n r b d g p t k h s S x/.
>
> This is a nice, though not very remarkable, inventory which fits
> into a European setting well.
>
>> Notably there is no labial fricative, which suits me fine, because
>> Starostin's Eurasian doesn't have any either. But it does have /w/,
>> so I have to find a way to handle that. Tentatively I have combined
>> them with neighbouring vowels to produce o's, but this makes the
>> language somewhat o-heavy, so I'm not sure I will go for it. Another
>> notable feature of the king list is that there is no initial b. There
>> are only about a 100 different names, so this could be a coincidence,
>> but tentatively I have mutated initial b's, which are plentiful in
>> Eurasian, into m's, merging with the original ones. Another feature I
>> have added is the palatalisation of /x/ before front vowels.
>
> I am somewhat sceptical about Starostin's etymologies, but at
> any rate, one can build a conlang from them.  I am not familiar
> with Starostin's Proto-Eurasian phoneme inventory, nor which
> languages he includes in his family.  (The traditional definition
> of "Eurasiatic" includes Indo-European, Uralic, Altaic and
> whatever looks similar enough to be included; but I have noticed
> long ago that different authors use the same or similar names for
> very different macrofamilies, sometimes.)
>
>> Morphologically I have made the language verb-initial and added a
>> particulariser for mass nouns because I am thinking of this as a
>> substrate language for Celtic in my conworld. The lack of initial b
>> may be a sign of early mutation, too.
>
> If it is in the prehistoric British Isles, verb-initial word order
> makes perfect sense; one of the few things we can say about the
> languages of pre-Celtic Britain is that they probably were verb-
> initial.
>
>> This is a marked change from Eurasian, which seems to have been verb-
>> final instead of verb-initial. The language is situated in a
>> neolithic time-frame, but at the stage of my present creation I am
>> presuming that it has evolved some morphologically. The king list is
>> long, and must span several centuries. And I am supposing that the
>> language will have been reformed consciously, too. The grammar isn't
>> really worked out in very great detail yet, but it has ergativity and
>> lative cases as well as many verbal aspects. I am currently thinking
>> of doing without tense.
>>
>> The noun system is what I think may be the most artificial of the
>> grammar, because it differs from what I think would have developed
>> naturally. Nouns are divided into four classes, each with a different
> [...]

I concur. Nauspayr has (within the last couple of months) started
doing something similar, with the suffix functioning to denote case,
definiteness, number and class. Although the verbs do decline
differently according to class, this is really due to the fact that
all "verbs" are just the inflection of a noun so your verb idea sounds
really cool, particularly how they're engineered differently to the
nouns but still follow the same thematic pattern. I really like your
noun classification btw, particularly the way it handles both animacy
and "naturalness".