CONLANG  January 2011, Week 3

CONLANG January 2011, Week 3

Re: OT: Determining the equinox and solstice

Peter Bleackley <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:43:18 +0000

staving Roger Mills:

> I'm no astrophysicist, but... I suspect axial tilt is very hard to
> change in any significant way. And planetary orbits, while
> elliptical, are not wildly so. Would such an extreme orbit actually
> be possible? Could it be that in its eccentric orbit, the planet
> comes too close (sometimes) to another large body (a neighboring
> planet, or large moon)?

'Tis some time since my astrophysics Ph.D., and that was extragalactic,
but I understand that having a large moon helps to stabilise our axial
tilt, which would otherwise wander much more, probably due to spin-orbit
interactions.

Pete