Monospaced Font

CONLANG  February 2011, Week 2

CONLANG February 2011, Week 2

Re: Non-subject relativization strategies

Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Feb 2011 00:38:14 -0500

It looks like you've provided a whole lot of good data there, Marlon, but
it's hard to read since your formatting has come out poorly. (I've included
your message in whole, below, so that you can see what's happened to it.)
I'm not sure how you prepared it, but it looks like it has eaten most of
your line breaks. I'd advise, if you're trying to prepare interlinears,
doing that in a fixed pitch font, like so:

Watashi wa osushi wo tsukuttandesu.
I TOPIC sushi ACC prepare.PAST

Perhaps relatedly, your earlier message on Yuelami phonology came out with a
bunch of character entities, and oddly enough ones in the Unicode private
use area rather than proper IPA characters, so that the IPA was more or less
unreadable. (Your blog link was good, though.) These sort of technological
frustrations are the reason we often encode the IPA as CXS on this list. See
  http://www.theiling.de/ipa/

Alex

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 03:07:18 -0200, Marlon Couto Ribeiro
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>If you go to the following pages you will the explanation Roger Mills gave
about Malagasy
>http://westernlinguistics.ca/afla/meetings/afla5/abstracts/pearson_resultative_complements_and_non_active_voice_morphology_in_malagasy.pdf
>
>http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/people/grads/pearson/dissertation/chapter2.pdfhttp://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/people/grads/pearson/dissertation/chapter2.pdf
>
>Concerning Japanese, Basque and Turkish, they have all similar non-subject
relativization structures:
>Watashi wa osushi wo tsukuttandesu. I made sushi.
>Watashi wa osushi wo tsukutta
                                 ndesu. I topic marker sushi
direct object marker past form of formal level
marker
     "tsukuru" to make, to prepare
>Watashi ga tsukutta osushi wa oishii ndesu. I relative made sushi
     delicious sentence subject markeror
>Watashi no tsukutta osushi wa oishii ndesu. The sushi I made (or The sushi
THAT I made) is delicious. I relative made sushi delicious.
    sentence subject marker

>Sono hito wa hiroi apaato ni sunde iru
      ndesu.That person wide apartment locative present perfect
         formal level marker(he, she)
    of "sumu": to live, to dwell
>He/she lives in a large apartment.
>Sono hito ga sunde iru apaato wa hiroi ndesu.The aparment "where" s/he
lives is large.
>Relative sentences in Japanese work like adjectives, that's why they come
before the nouns. In my conlang there is no relativizer and the verb becomes
a tense-marked adjective.
>Riema robazei zhaminao beirievobeirei.Yesterday a bread delicious
I.ed.prepare.ed = I made a delicious bread yesterday.Zaminao muebeitoa yu
robao riema beilei revobeirao.Delicious it.is the bread
yesterday I.by made/prepared = The bread I made yesterday is delicious.
>vobeirue: to prepare, to cook, to bake (-ue: infinitive marker, vobeir- =
stem)robao: bread (-ao, -a- : neuter noun marker)-rie- ... -ei: past tense
circumfixre-: past tense marker in relativized verbal adjective form-zei:
object marker (accusative case)bei- : masculine Iriema: yesterdayzaminao:
delicious-lei: passive voice agent marker, relative and embedded sentence
subject marker; by means of, through, via (ablative case)mue-: itbeitue: to
be (stem: beit-)-oa: present tense suffixyu: neuter definite article,
"the"-ao: neuter adjective marker
>Loyueka valomazei runao moasovieto yei reisie. The student will do a
difficult homework later on. later homework hard he.fill-in.will the
student
>Runao valomazei loyueka yei reisilei vosovitao mozaroa yueno
moasie. hard homework later the student.by will.filled-in she.thinks
 mother he.ofThe student's mother thinks difficult the homework he is going
to do.
>loyueka: latervalomao: homework (neuter noun marker: -ao, -a--zei: object
marker (accusative case)runao: difficut, hard (neuter adjective marker:
-ao)moa-: hemo-: she-s-: linking consonantovitue: to fill in, to fill out
(ovit-, oviet-: stem)-o: future tense markeryei: masc. def. article,
thereisie: common (=masc. & fem.) noun, "student" (common noun marker: -ie,
-i-)zarue: to think, to have an opinion, to deem, to consideryueno: femine
noun mother-sie: genitive suffix-lei: passive voice agent marker, relative
and embedded sentence subject marker; by means of, through, via (ablative
case)vo-: future tense marker in relativized verbal adjective form
>Oja yeisa majieluzei moakoaroa yei kaboa.here now magazine he.reads the
boyNow the boy is reading a magazine here.
>Mueriesoabitei yu majilue oja yeisa yei kaboalei lakoarao.It.disappeared
the magazine here now the boy.by read.The magazine the boy is reading now
here disappeared.
also:http://www.buber.net/Basque/Euskara/lang.lt.htmlhttp://www.nabasque.org/Pages/Euskara_Laka.htmhttp://www.ehu.es/HEB/Mikel/Adam&Mikel_Master2010_11/Papers%20for%20presentations/Carreiras%20et%20al%202010%20relatives.pdf
>The old Brazilian indigenous language "Old Tupi" had no relativizer as
well. It used a noun with a passive prefix (emi-, temi-, remi-) plus tense
suffixes (zero suffix for present tense, -pŻera/-mbŻera/-Żera/-gŻera for
past tense and -rama/-ndama/-Żama/-gŻama/-ama for future tense) preceded by
a possessive pronoun or noun in genitive order (noun + noun) to non-subject
relativizing sentences, and it used the suffix -saba/-aba/-ndaba for subject
relativizing sentences or even for non-subject relativizing sentences.
> Óebyr+saba Apť xť Óebyraba i
porang.Path my "returning way/thing" it beautiful.The path I go/come back
through is beautiful.
> Óebyr+saba+pŻeraApť xť ÓebyrabŻera i
porang.Path my "past returning way/thing" it beautiful.The path I
went/came back through is beautiful.
> Óebyr+saba+rama Apť xť ÓebyrabŻama i
porang.Path my "future returning way/thing" it beautiful.The path I will
go/come back through is beautiful.
>Mar„pe ygara nde ruba remimotara (remi- +potar+ -a)? Where boat your
father wanting to wantWhere is the boat your father wants?
>Mar„pe ygara nde ruba remimotarŻera?Where boat your father past
wantingWhere is the boat your father wanted?
>Mar„pe ygara nde ruba remimotarama?Where boat your father future
wantingWhere is the boat your father will/may want?